Jim Yong Kim reappointed as World Bank President
- The World Bank has reappointed Jim Yong Kim ( an American citizen) for 2nd five-year term as President (from 1st July 2017) after the nomination period closed without any challengers.
- Jim Yong Kim is a South Korean-American physician and anthropologist who has served as the 12th President of the World Bank since July 1, 2012.
- The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans to developing countries for capital programs.
- The World Bank’s stated official goal is the reduction of poverty.
Download Exclusive Notes on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
29 September: World Maritime Day
- The World Maritime Day is being observed across the world on 29th September to highlight the importance of shipping safety and maritime security.
- 2016 Theme: “Shipping: indispensable to the world”.
- The theme focuses on the critical link between shipping and global society.
Telugu writer conferred with Moortidevi Award of Bharatiya Jnanpith for 2015
- Noted Telugu writer Prof.Kalakaluri Enoch has been conferred with Moortidevi Award of Bharatiya Jnanpith for the year 2015.
- The award was given for his novel “Anantajivanam“.
- The award carries a shawl, Saraswati Statue, Citation and a cheque of four lakh rupees.
Govt fixes export quota of white sugar to EU for 1 year
- Government has fixed an export quota of ten thousand tonnes of white sugar to the European Union (EU) under a certain provision for the one-year period.
- It has allocated white sugar under concessions to European Union for the period October 2016 to September next year.
Infosys launches e-commerce platform Skava Commerce
- Infosys has launched Skava Commerce, an e-commerce platform for retailers.
- The Skava Commerce platform has evolved from its roots as an industry leading mobile-commerce platform to a complete e-commerce platform with a modern, next generation micro-services architecture.
- Skava is a Silicon Valley based e-commerce startup which was acquired by Infosys.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana launched in Jammu & Kashmir
- Jammu &Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti and Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan have launched the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in the state.
- The scheme provides free LPG connections to the women from BPL households.
- A new LPG bottling plant would be started in Kargil, while gas production would be increased in Leh.
West Bengal govt decides to install monorail
- The West Bengal Chief Minister Ms.Mamata Banerjee has decided to install monorail from Budge Budge in South 24-Parganas to Ruby Connector in Kolkata at a cost of 4,216 crore rupees.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) will be signed between Burn Standard Company Limited and the state transport department for execution of the project to install the monorail.
- Burn Standard Company Limited will be funding the project and the state government will provide land.
Govt. announces Rs. 90 lakh cash reward for Rio Paralympics winners
- The Union government has announced a total cash reward of 90 lakh Rupees for the medal winners of Rio Paralympics.
- Gold medal winners paralympic Mariyappan Thangavelu (high jumper)and Devendra Jhajharia (Javelin thrower) will be rewarded with 30 lakh Rupees each.
- Deepa Malik (silver medal) in Shotput will be rewarded 20 lakh Rupees and Varun Singh Bhati (high jumper), bronze medal at the Rio games will be given 10 lakh Rupees.
Former Australian cricketer Max Walker passes away
- Former Australian cricketer Max Walker has passed away in Melbourne. He was 68.
- His awkward and unorthodox bowling action earned him the nickname ‘Tangles’.
- Walker played 34 Tests between 1972 and ‘77, taking 138 wickets at an average of 27.47, including six five-wicket hauls.