Mother Teresa is being declared saint by Pope Francis in Vatican City
- Mother Teresa is being declared a saint by Pope Francis at a canonisation ceremony in Vatican City.
- The canonization comes on the eve of her 19th death anniversary. Once declared Saint, she will be known as Saint Teresa of Calcutta.
Download mobile friendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Gumthala Garhu becomes first Wifi hotspot village in Haryana
- In Haryana, village Gumthala Garhu near Pehowa in Kurukshetra district has became the first Wifi hotspot village in Haryana circle under bulk plan of BSNL.
- Chief Minister, Mr. Manohar Lal inaugurated this service from Chandigarh yesterday. The Chief Minister said that BSNL has created history by taking initiative of providing Wifi service in the villages, which earlier were available in cities only.
Serena Williams sets women's record of 307 victories in grand slams
- In Tennis, world number one Serena Williams has created history by setting a record of most number of Grand Slam matches wins by a woman in the Open era.
- In the US Open last night, the American defeated Johanna Larsson of Sweden, 6-2, 6-1 to progress to the pre-quarterfinals and surpass Martina Navratilova's record of 306 wins.
Mukund Choudhari assumes charge as CMD of MOIL
- Mukund Chaudhari on 1 September 2016 took over as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of MOIL Ltd, a miniratna company.
- Prior to taking over as CMD, Chaudhari served as the Director (Finance) of MOIL.
- He holds a long experience of over two and half decades in private and public sectors undertakings.
Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao sworn in as acting Governor of Tamil Nadu
- Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra, was sworn in as the acting Governor of Tamil Nadu on 2 September 2016 as the tenure of K. Rosaiah ended on 31 August 2016.
- Rao was administered oath of office by the Madras High Court's Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul at the Raj Bhavan, Chennai.
- Previously, he served as the Union Minister of State for internal affairs in the Vajpayee-led BJP Government from 1999.
India, Egypt sign agreement in area of Maritime Transport
- India and Egypt on 2 September 2016 signed an agreement on Maritime Transport. The agreemnt would help the two nations to step-up co-operation on the seas not only in terms of maritime commerce but also in transit of naval vessels.
- The agreement was signed after delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President of Egypt Abdel Fattah El-Sisi in New Delhi. President Sisi is on a three-day visit (1-3 September 2016) to India at an invitation of President Pranab Mukherjee.
Union Government notifies National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
- The Union Government notified National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme. It is for the first time a scheme has been notified to offer financial incentives to employers.
- The Scheme has an outlay of 10000 crore rupees with a target of 50 Lakh apprentices to be trained by 2019-20.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here