Ecologist Bibhuti Lahkar bags Heritage Heroes Award of IUCN
- Ecologist and conservation from Assam Bibhuti Prasad Lahkar has won the People’s Choice award for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Heritage Heroes for his outstanding contribution toward protection of wildlife and ecology of Manas National Park.
- He became the first Asian to win this prestigious environmental award.
- Lahkar received the award at the IUCN’s ongoing World Conservation Congress in Honolulu,Hawaii.
Download IBPS PO NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
UK appoints ambassador to Iran for the first time since 2011
- The United Kingdom (UK) has appointed an ambassador to Iran for the first time since 2011, as part of its aims for more productive co-operation.
- Former British ambassador to Qatar and Yemen Nicholas Hopton will take up the role of ambassador.
- The British embassy in Tehran was closed after it was stormed and ransacked by protesters in November 2011.
- The embassy was reopened in August 2015 by then-British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond and the two countries resumed ties on Charge d’Affaires level.
WHO certifies Sri Lanka as a malaria free nation
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has certified Sri Lanka as a malaria-free nation.
- Malaria is a life-threatening disease which long affected the island country.
- According to WHO no locally transmitted cases of malaria have been recorded in the country for 3½ years.
- WHO is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that is concerned with international public health.
Meghalaya: Mother Teresa International Film Festival begins in Shillong
- The first ever three-day Mother Teresa International Film Festival has been organized by the Sisters of Charity in collaboration with other religious congregations in Shillong.
- The festival has begun with the screening of documentary film, “Mother Teresa and Me” by Director and Producer, Gautam Lewis of United Kingdom.
Ankasamudra to become a conservation reserve
- The Karnataka State Wildlife Board chaired by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has given its approval for declaring Ankasamudra Lake in Hagaribommanahalli taluk, Ballari district, a bird conservation reserve.
- This will be the third bird sanctuary in the state after Puttenahalli and Ranganathittu.
Union Health Ministry launches campaign to eradicate leprosy
- The Union Health Minister J P Nadda has launched 2-week-long massive Leprosy Case Detection Campaign (LCDC) to eradicate leprosy from the country.
- It will be focusing on more than 1,600 blocks in the 149 districts across 20 states.
- There are nearly 3 lakh health teams will undertake door-to-door visits to detect leprosy cases.
World’s oldest living cricketer Lindsay Tuckett passes away
- World’s oldest cricketer Lindsay Tuckett (97-year) has passed away in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
- Tuckett represented South Africa in 9 Test matches against England between 1947 to 1949.
- He made his debut in the first Test at Trent Bridge, Nottingham in 1947.
Shahan Ali Mohsin wins the Asian Karting Championship
- Shahan Ali Mohsin (12-year) from Agra has become the first Indian racer to win the Asian Karting Champion Championship at the Sepang Circuit in Malaysia.
- Now he is hoping for a repeat closer home in the JK Tyre National Rotax Max Karting Championship (currently leading) as well, with the final round scheduled on 25th September.
RBI Grade B Online Classes by Ramandeep Singh - Join here