Indian film ‘Thithi’ wins best film award at BRICS Film Festival
- Indian film Thithi (Kannada) has won the best film award at the first BRICS Film Festival in New Delhi.
- Thithi is a dramatic comedy Kannada film co-written and directed by Raam Reddy.
- The film festival screened movies from India, Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa.
- Earlier, The film festival opened in New Delhi on 2nd of this month with the screening of a Malayalam movie, Veeram.
Download mobile friendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
K G George to be honoured with J C Daniel Award
- Veteran film director K G George (70-year) has been selected for the J C Daniel award 2015 for his overall contribution to the Malayalam film industry.
- The award is considered the top one in the industry and given by the Kerala government to honour a film personality for his or her contribution.
- The award, conferred by the state government annually in recognition of an individual’s contribution to Malayalam cinema, comprises of Rs 1 lakh and a citation.
Maharashtra announces Rs 75 lakh cash reward to Lalita Babar
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced a cash reward of 75 lakh rupees to steeplechase specialist from the state, Lalita Babar (10th at Rio Olympics).
- Other five athletes from Maharashtra who took part in the last month’s Games will also get 50 lakh rupees each.
- Fadnavis also announced a cash reward of 50 lakh rupees to bronze medallist wrestler Sakshi Malik and 25 lakh rupees to her coach.
- He also gave a cash award of 75 lakh rupees to Olympic silver medallist in women’s badminton singles P V Sindhu and 25 lakh rupees to her coach P Gopichand
India ends Yaws, Maternal & Neonatal Tetanus, WHO certifies
- India has received certificates from World Health Organisation (WHO) for recognising the elimination of Yaws ,Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus (MNT) from the country.
- According to the Union Health Minister J P Nadda, India has received WHO’s certificates for MNTE Yaws-free India at 69th session of Regional Committee of WHO at, Colombo,Sri Lanka.
- Yaws is a chronic bacterial infection that affects the skin, bones and cartilages.
Govt. approves Rs 450 cr for five states under Swadesh Darshan scheme
- Union Tourism Ministry has approved the amount 450 crore rupees for the development of Heritage circuit in Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand, Ramayana Circuit in Uttar Pradesh, North East Circuit in Sikkim and Coastal Circuit of Tamil Nadu.
- The Heritage Circuit in Madhya Pradesh covers Gwalior- Orchha-Khajuraho-Chanderi-Bhimbetka-Mandu.
- The Heritage Circuit in Uttarakhand is on developing Tourism Infrastructure in Jageshwar-Devidhura-Katarmal-Baijnath sites.
- Coastal circuit in Tamil Nadu envisages development of Chennai-Mamamallapuram-Rameshwaram-Manpadu-Kanyakumari.
Karnataka releases Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu
- Karnataka has started releasing Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu from last night complying with the Supreme Court directive.
- Earlier, the apex court had asked the Karnataka government to release 15,000 cusecs per day to the neighbouring state for ten days.
- Karnataka govt. would approach the Supreme Court with a modification petition explaining its difficulties in implementing the order.
Summer Paralympic Games begin
- Summer Paralympic Games 2016 has begun in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro with an opening ceremony at the Maracana Stadium.
- Round 4,000 athletes from over 160 countries will compete in 22 different sport disciplines in the 12-day event.
- India is fielding its largest-ever contingent of 19 athletes who will feature in 10 disciplines.
Sushil Kumar nominated for Padma Bhushan
- Wrestler Sushil Kumar has been nominated for the Padma Bhushan by the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI).
- The Federation has also recommended female wrestler Alka Tomar and Dronacharya awardee Yashvir Singh (Sushil’s coach) for the honour.
- Sushil is the only Indian athlete to have won two individual Olympic medals a bronze in the 2008 Beijing Games and a silver in the 2012 London Games.
- He already bestowed with the Khel Ratna award (the country’s highest sporting honour).
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here