ISRO successfully launches advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched its advanced weather satellite (INSAT-3DR) from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- INSAT 3DR would join the operational Search and Rescue service provided by INSAT 3D to various users, including Coast Guard, Airport Authority of India, Shipping, Defence Services.
- INSAT-3DR will provide a variety of meteorological services to the country.
- The operational life of the INSAT-3DR is about ten years.
Download mobile friendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
8th September: International Literacy Day
- The International Literacy Day is being observed every year on 08 September to emphasize the importance of literacy to individuals, society and communities .
- This year, the world is celebrating 50th International Literacy Day and the theme is “Reading the Past, Writing the Future“.
- The day was established in 1966 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
Government appoints J. Satyanarayana as the chairperson of UIDAI
- The Union Govt. has chosen a retired IAS officer and former DEITY Secretary J. Satyanarayana as the Chairperson of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
- He succeeds former Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani (first Chairman of the UIDAI) and had stepped down from the post in 2014.
Union Govt. announces financial package for Andhra Pradesh
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has announced a financial package for Andhra Pradesh.
- It includes full funding of Pollavaram irrigation project, tax concessions and a special assistance.
- The funding of Pollavaram project would be met by the Centre from 1st of April 2014.
- The state will also get a railway zone.
Railways to implement Flexi Fare system in Rajdhani, Shatabdi & Duronto trains
- Indian Railways have decided to implement Flexi Fare system in Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto trains.
- Under the scheme, the base fares will increase by 10% with every ten percent of berth sold, subject to a prescribed ceiling limit.
- Supplementary charges like reservation charges, Superfast charge, Catering charges and Service tax will be levied separately.
DoT unveils new norms on SIM up gradation
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) has come out with new guidelines on SIM up gradation from 2G to 3G or 4G.
- It can be done with a clear go-ahead from mobile users and on their request.
- The new guidelines have already come into effect.
- Now, The subscriber will have to generate a request customer care or online or point of sale of the company.
- Once the request is received, the operator will issue a new SIM card to the subscriber.
Bengaluru hosts the first edition of IoT India Congress
- The Three-day event of first edition of ‘IoT (Internet of Things) India Congress, 2016 has been inaugurated by Union Information Technology (IT) and Electronics Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and Ministry of Telecommunications,Secretary JS Deepak.
- The congress aims to bring together key stakeholders across the value chain and verticals to collaborate, ideate and share a common roadmap for IoT implementation.
- IoT is a system of interrelated computing devices, mechanical and digital machines, objects, or people that are provided with unique identifiers.
Gujarat CM dedicates 2 Mbps connectivity to 6,000 villages
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has dedicated 2 Mbps download and 512 kbps upload digital connectivity to 6,000 villages at a ceremony in Gandhinagar.
- Now 6,000 villages out of 14,000 are given 2 Mbps connectivity through BSNL network.
- As these villages are out of the V-SAT platform, the rest of the villages served by V-SAT will also get faster connectivity.
- Gujarat Government has set the target to achieve 100 percent village connectivity through optical fiber network 2nd October next year.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here