Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom win 2016 Nobel Prize in Economics
Oliver Hart (British-born) and Bengt Holmstrom (Finland) have won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for their contributions to contract theory, shedding light on how contracts help people deal with conflicting interests.
- Both of them will share 8 million kronor(about $930,000).
- Contract theory can be used to analyze performance-based pay for CEOs or deductibles and co-pays for insurance
- The laureates will collect them on 10th December, the anniversary of prize founder Alfred Nobel’s death in 1896.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
World Mental Health Day: 10th October
World Mental Health Day is observed every year on 10th October to raise awareness about mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
- The theme for this year is “Psychological First Aid“.
Chinese President Xi Jinping appoints new envoy to India
Chinese President Xi Jinping has appointed a senior diplomat Luo Zhaohui (54-years) as China’s new Ambassador to India.
- He was China’s Ambassador to Canada from 2014 to 2016.
- Former Chinese Ambassador to India Le Yucheng left New Delhi in April.
Edutainment platform for primary schools in Kerala
The Kerala State education department has introduced New Information Communication Technology (ICT) textbooks for primary classes from 1st to 4th.
- Around 1.5 million students can enhance their learning ability with the introduction of a new textbook which integrates even games through meaningful learning situations in Kerala.
- The new textbook, named ‘Kalipetty‘ (which means play box), has been developed in a scientific manner and is expected to simplify mathematics and other subjects.
Govt to get Rs 37000 crore from spectrum auction this fiscal
Union government will garner as much as 37,000 crore rupees this fiscal from spectrum auction after taking into account close to 5,000 crore rupees of service tax that telecom companies will pay.
- The government has received commitment of 65,789 crore rupees by selling 964.80 MHz of spectrum.
- Total of 930 Mhz of spectrum sold over the last four years, government sold 965 Mhz of spectrum in the 2016 auctions.
- Of this, winners have to deposit 32,000 crore rupees within 10 days of receipt of allotment letters.
Andy Murray wins China Open Men’s title
Britain’s tennis player Andy Murray has won his first China Open title 2016.
- Murray beat Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov (World number- 20) in straight sets 6-4, 7-6 (7/2) to win title.
- Andy Murray secured his 5th singles title of 2016 and 40th of his career
Agnieszka Radwanska wins China Open women’s title
Poland’s Agnieszka Radwanska has won the China Open Women’s Singles at Beijing, China.
- She defeated British tennis player Johanna Konta in straight sets 6-4, 6-2.
Indian shuttlers claim two titles at Russian Open
Indian shuttler Ruthvika Shivani Gadde (19-year) has won the women’s singles title at the Russian Open Grand Prix beating local favourite Evgeniya Kosetskaya 21-10, 21-13 in Vladivostok.
- In the mixed doubles N Sikki Reddy and Pranaav Chopra edged past the Russian duo of Vladimir Ivanov and Valeria Sorokina 21-17 21-19 to claim the title.
Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalaya flagged off
The world’s highest arena rally Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalaya (18th edition) has flagged off from Manali in Himachal Pradesh.
- The rally will cross the challenging route of Kaza, traversing through Sarchu towards Leh over the course of seven days.
- Over 240 motor sport enthusiasts in 155 teams are participating in this rally.
- The participants will compete in three categories- Cars Extreme, Bikes Extreme and Adventure Trial.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here