Bob Dylan wins 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature
- US musician and poet Bob Dylan (75-year) has won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature for “having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition,”.
- The Nobel Prize is one of the world’s most prestigious and financially generous awards, comes with a prize of 8 million Swedish kronor ($930,000) prize.
- The awards are presented every year on 10th December ,the anniversary of the death of Swedish industrialist Alfred Nobel.
Download Exclusive Notes on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Nishank awarded by Ugandan govt for his literary work
- Former Chief minister of Uttarakhand Ramesh Pokhriyal “Nishank” has been conferred with a prestigious award by the Ugandan government for promoting human values through his literature in Uganda.
- The award has been presented by the Prime Minister of Ugandan Ruhakana Rugunda.
- Nishank is a Member of Parliament (belongs to BJP) in 16th Lok Sabha from Haridwar Constituency of Uttarakhand.
Indian hockey team captain P R Sreejesh bags award
- Indian Hockey team captain P R Sreejesh has been selected for the 28th Jimmy George Foundation Award-2016 for best sports person of Kerala.
- Sreejesh has awarded for his contributions to Hockey field.
- The award carries a purse of Rs 25,000 and a citation.
World Sight Day being observed today
- World sight day is being observed annually on the second Thursday of October.
- It is a global event meant to draw attention on blindness and vision impairment.
- It was originally initiated by the SightFirstCampaign of Lions Club International Foundation in 2000.
- The theme of 2016 is “Stronger Together”.
First World Tsunami Awareness Day to be celebrated at AMCDRR 2016
- The first World Tsunami Awareness Day will be celebrated on 5th November, 2016 at the Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) 2016.
- The conference will organised from 3rd to 5thNovember, 2016 in New Delhi by the Union Government in collaboration with United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
- To commemorate the occasion, an event will be organized with Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Champions at the AMCDRR 2016.
Union Cabinet approves setting up of IIM at Jammu
- The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) at Jammu.
- The institute will become operational from the Academic Year 2016-17 at the transit or temporary campus at Old Government College of Engineering & Technology.
- The student strength for this year in the Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Management is fifty-four which will go up to a cumulative student strength of 120 in the 4th year.
- The project will involve a cost of around 62 crore rupees for initial four years.
India to host meeting of BRICS trade ministers
- BRICS trade ministers are meeting in New Delhi to discuss ways to further enhance economic cooperation.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is hosting the meeting.
- Leaders of BRICS will adopt the framework for co-operation dealing in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), services, intellectual property rights, trade promotion, non-tariff measures the resolution and standardization.
Shooter Jitu Rai named ‘Champion of Champions’ by ISSF
- Indian Shooter Jitu Rai has won the 2016 Champion of Champions pistol Award of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) for pistol shooting.
- Rai has won the award consisting cash prize of €5000 in the World Cup Final held in Bologna(Italy).
- He defeated Damir Mikec of Serbia by 29.6 to 28.3 points in the 10 m Air Pistol Champions Trophy final.
Ashwin regains number one spot in Test rankings
- Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin reclaimed the number one spot in Test rankings for bowlers.
- Ashwin was named the man of the series after he finished with 27 wickets in a 3-0 by India.
- Now,he has 220 wickets, the most by any bowler after 39 Tests.
- Ashwin also holds the top position in rankings for all-rounders.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here