Bank of Baroda appoints P V Sindhu and K Srikanth as Brand ambassadors
- Public sector bank Bank of Baroda (BOB) has signed a three-year principal sponsorship contract with badminton Olympians P V Sindhu and K Srikanth.
- Bank of Baroda logo will appear on the center chest of the two athletes’ playing jersey in international as well as domestic tournaments under the aegis of Badminton World Federation events (BWF) and Badminton Association of India sanctioned events, respectively.
- In 2005, the bank had appointed right-hand batsman Rahul Dravid as its brand ambassador.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
14th October: World Standards Day
- ‘World Standards Day’ is celebrated internationally each year on 14th October.
- The aim of World Standards Day is to raise awareness among regulators, industry and consumers as to the importance of standardization to the global economy.
- The theme for World Standards Day 2016 is “Standards Build Trust“.
Thailand King Bhumibol Adulyadej passes away
- King of Thailand Bhumibol Adulyadej (88-years) has passed away after long illness at Bangkok (Thailand).
- Thai King Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn (64-years) will be the new monarch.
- He was the world’s longest-serving head of state and the longest-reigning monarch in Thai history.
- Adulyadej was crowned King of Thailand on 5 May 1950 at the Royal Palace in Bangkok.
Maneka Gandhi inaugurates Women of India Festival 2016
- Minister of Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi has inaugurated the Women of India Festival 2016 at Dilli Haat in New Delhi.
- Ten-day festival will offer the biggest selection of organic products prepared by women.
- The festival celebrates and promotes women entrepreneurs from across India.
- This year’s festival have 230 stalls and about 372 participants.
UIDAI launches special drive to enroll AADHAAR
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched a special drive to enroll leftover population for Aadhaar in Union Territories and 22 States (till 15th November).
- The States/UT include Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Andaman & Nicobar Island, Maharashtra, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh.
- The scheme will be only for the adult population.
- The residents of these States who have not yet enrolled for Aadhaar are being asked to register themselves at www.wenrol.uidai.gov.in.
CCEA approves revision of ethanol prices to public sector
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the mechanism for revision of ethanol price for supply to Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies to carry out the Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) Programme.
- The administered price of ethanol for the Programme will be 39 rupees per liter from 1st December this year to 30th November next year
- It will facilitate Government in providing price stability and remunerative prices for ethanol suppliers.
Union Cabinet approves MoU on General Cooperation with NDB
- The Union Cabinet has approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on General Cooperation with New Development Bank (NDB) through the BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism.
- The proposal will enhance trade and economic relations among the BRICS countries.
- Five banks from the BRICS nations had established the BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism to enhance trade and economic relations among the BRICS countries.
Govt. releases Rs. 99.62 crore under AMRUT scheme
- Andhra Pradesh government has released Rs. 99.62 crore to AP-Urban Finance and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (AP-UFIDC) for the year 2016-17 for works taken up under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) scheme.
- The scheme is being implemented in 33 cities and towns in the State.
- The funds will be disbursed to the eligible urban local bodies for improving civic infrastructure like roads, water supply, sewerage, solid waste management and storm water drains.
SEBI bans 21 entities in tax evasion case
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has banned 21 entities in a case related to tax evasion and illegal gains through misuse of stock exchange mechanism.
- Earlier, SEBI had barred Dhyana Finstock and 75 other entities, from the market for using the securities system to artificially bump up volume and price of the scrip to provide illegitimate gains to preferential allottees.
- The probe began following the complaints received from several investors in the matter.
Maldives leaves Commonwealth after warnings over democracy
- Maldives has announced its decision to leave the Commonwealth (53-member) saying it was treated unjustly and unfairly by the Commonwealth.
- According to Amnesty International Maldives authorities should address their own human rights situation rather than lash out at legitimate criticism.
- The Maldives has been under international scrutiny over its crackdown on opposition leaders, especially over the jailing of the most senior members of the main parties, including former President Mohamed Nasheed.
Mark Webber announces retirement from racing
- The Formula-F1 driver from Australia Mark Webber (40-years) will retire from professional racing at the end of this year in Bahrai.
- He will become a Porsche ‘special representative’ at global events and work as a consultant on motorsport programmes.
- Webber won the World Endurance Championship (WEC) title in 2015.