Arundhati Bhattacharya gets a year’s extension as SBI chief
- Her tenure was to end on 6th October.
- Earlier, the Cabinet gave its nod for merger of State Bank of India (SBI), its associate lenders and Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) that would make the state-owned lender a global-sized bank.
Download Exclusive Notes on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Somesh Sharma elected as new INS president
- He succeeds PV Chandran of Grihalakshmi of Mathrubhumi Group.
R Subramania Kumar appointed ED of Indian Overseas Bank
- Kumar is currently Executive Director of Indian Bank.
1st October : International day of Older Persons
- It is also a day to appreciate the contributions that older people make to society.
- The theme of this year is “Take A Stand Against Ageism”.
Tirupati Airport awarded as “Best Tourist Friendly Airport”
- The award was presented on the eve of World Tourism Day by the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Chandra Babu Naidu at Bhawani Islands, Vijayawada (Andhra Pradesh).
Fiscal deficit at 76.4% of Budget estimate in April-August
- It was 76.4 % of the budget estimates for the entire 2016-17 fiscal.
- The fiscal deficit in previous year (April to August) had stood at 66.5% of the Budget estimates.
- Fiscal deficit is the gap between expenditure and revenue for the entire current fiscal has been pegged at Rs 5.33 lakh crore (3.5% of GDP).
- Total receipts of the government during the first five months of this fiscal were 27.3 % of the estimates for the current year.
- The revenue deficit during these five months was 91.8 % of budget estimates.
Rs. 65,250 cr declared in Income Disclosure Scheme so far
- Some disclosures have not been tabulated yet and the figure could increase after the final tabulation.
- The scheme was announced by the government in June this year with an aim to bring out black money from the domestic economy.
- Those disclosing assets under the IDS will have to pay 45% tax with penalty.
- The payments can be made in three installments till September 2017.
Rani becomes 1st Indian woman to cross 60m in javelin
- She has thrown 60.01 meters at the 56th Open National Athletics Championships in Lucknow (UP).
- Earlier, her own national mark of 59.87m which she made in July during the National Inter-State Championships in Hyderabad.
- Annu, a bronze medal winner at the 2014 Incheon Asian Games.
India beat Bangladesh to clinch men’s U-18 Asia Cup Hockey Trophy
- India scored a goal in the last minute to edge past hosts Bangladesh 5-4 in the final of the U-18 Men’s Asia Cup hockey.
- Hardik Singh (India) was named the Man of the Match, while Pankaj Kumar Rajak (India) was named the Best Goalkeeper of the tournament.