Japan’s Watanabe elected president of International Gymnastics Federation
- The secretary-general of Japan Gymnastics Association (JGA) Morinari Watanabe has been elected as the new President of the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG).
- Watanabe has become the 9th President of the FIG. He will succeed Bruno Grandi.
- He has won the election after defeating rival candidate Georges Guelzec of France by a huge margin in a vote at the governing body’s Congress.
Global conference to strengthen Arbitration & Enforcement in India begins
- The first ever three-day global conference to strengthen Arbitration and Enforcement in India inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver the valedictory address on Sunday.
- The Conference seeks to provide impetus to commercial arbitration in the country, which is fast gaining pace across the world, for faster and efficient dispute resolution outside the court room.
Centre to establish Krishi Vigyan Kendra in each district
- Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh has announced at least one ‘Krishi Vigyan Kendra’ in each of the districts in the country to provide technical assistance to farmers will establish.
- Earlier, he was interacting via video conference with all the Krishi Vigyan Kendra experts, district level officers associated with agriculture development and progressive farmers of 12 States.
Prez inaugurated Accountants General Conference
- President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated the 28th Accountants General Conference in New Delhi.
- The Accountants General from various places of the country has participated in the conference and reviewed the international ‘best practices’ prevalent in audit and accounting.
- The two-day conference is being organized by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India(CAG).
- The conference offers a forum for the exchange of ideas, grappling with evolving issues and experience sharing
Protein-enriched rice variety developed by IGKV Chattisgarh
- A protein-enriched rice variety has been developed by the Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya (IGKV), Raipur,Chattisgarh .
- The new variety has over 10% protein content and has 30 PPM zinc content.
- Researchers worked for seven years to develop the variety of rice.
- This rice variety will play a crucial role in addressing issues of protein deficiencies.
RBI relaxes norms for foreign investment in startups
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has said that Foreign Venture Capital Investors (FVCIs) can invest in Indian startups irrespective of the sector in which the startup is engaged without prior permission of the apex bank.
- Sebi-registered FVCIs have also been permitted to invest in unlisted firms in sectors like biotechnology, nano technology and dairy without prior permission of the RBI.
- The extant regulatory provisions have been reviewed and amended in order to further liberalize and rationalize the investment regime for FVCIs and to give a fillip to foreign investment in the startups.
- FVCIs can also open a foreign currency account and/or a rupee account for the purpose of making transactions.
Police Commemoration Day being observed across the country
- The Police Commemoration Day being observed across the country.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh with other dignitaries laid the wreath and pay homage to the police martyrs at Police Memorial Ground, Chanakyapuri in Delhi.
- The day commemorates the sacrifices of Ten policemen while defending the borders with China in 1959.
Milan confers honorary citizenship on Dalai Lama
- The Chairman of Milan city council Lamberto Bertole has honored the Dalai Lama (14th) with the Milan Honorary citizenship award at the ceremony held at the Arcimboldi Theatre in Milan, Italy.
- Dalai Lamas are important monks of the Gelug school, the newest school of Tibetan Buddhism, which is nominally headed by the Ganden Tripas.
Luis Suarez receives 2nd European Golden Shoe of his career
- Barcelona forward Luis Suarez (29-year) has received a second European Golden Shoe of his career after becoming the leading scorer in Europe’s top domestic leagues last season.
- He scored 40 goals in 35 La Liga starts, helping Barca retain the Spanish title.
- He ended the 2015-16 campaign with 59 goals in 52 appearances for Barca in all competitions.
- Earlier, He won the golden shoe award with Liverpool in the 2013-14 when he scored 31 times to help the Reds finish runners-up in the Premier League.