PM Modi inaugurates terminal building of Vadodara airport
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the integrated terminal building of Vadodara Airport in Gujarat.
- Now, the two airports (Kochi and Vadodara) have joined the green movement in the country.
- PM Modi also inaugurated event to distribute artificial limbs and other implements to more than 8 thousand “Divyangs” in the city.
- The event has been jointly organized by the Artificial Limb Manufacturing Corporation of India (Kanpur-based), the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and Vadodara district administration.
Download exclusive notes on your mobile
Install GK Digest Android App here
Union Government launches UDAN for Regional Air Connectivity
Union Minister for Civil Aviation Ashok Gajapathi Raju has launched the regional air connectivity scheme UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam naagrik) in New Delhi.
- The scheme seeks to get more people to fly in the smaller towns.
- The scheme is expected to be rolled out by January 2017.
- The scheme UDAN envisages providing connectivity to un-served and under-served airports of the country through the revival of existing air-strips and airports.
- UDAN aims to increase ticketing volume from 80 million to 300 million by 2022.
Govt. & World Bank sign $650 million agreement for eastern corridor project
India has signed a 650-million US dollar loan agreement with the World Bank for the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor-III (EDFC-III) Project.
- The project will benefit industries of Northern and Eastern India for transportation of material inputs and exports.
- The project is being developed by Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd. (DFCCIL).
- Railway passengers will also be benefitted through decongestion of the existing passenger lines.
Rajeev Pratap Rudy inaugurates Kaushal Mahotasava
Union Skill development and Entrepreneurship Minister Rajeev Pratap Rudy has inaugurated ‘Kaushal Mahotasava‘ in Varanasi,Uttar Pradesh.
- He also flagged off placement drive for youths skill under “skill India programme“.
- Around thirty prominent companies took part in the recruitment drive.
- Rudy also lauched a ” skillup mobile app“,the app will help the job seekers to search suitable work for themselves and will also help the employer to identify skilled workers for their industry.
Eminent journalist Tilak Hazarika passes away
Eminent journalist & writer of Assam Tilak Hazarika (95-year) has passed away in Guwahati,Assam.
- Mr. Hazarika was the editor of popular Assamese weekly newspaper Sadin and Asom Bani.
The Adivasi Will Not Dance: Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar
The book titled “The Adivasi Will Not Dance, penned by Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar” has shortlisted for The Hindu Prize 2016.
- It establishes Jharkhand’s Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar as one of our most important contemporary writers.
- The characters of the book are set in the fecund, mineral-rich hinterland and the ever-expanding, squalid towns of Jharkhand.
- The Adivasi Will Not Dance is a mature, passionate, intensely political book of stories, made up of the very stuff of life.
TRAI recommends Rs. 3,050 crore penalty on Airtel, Vodafone & Idea
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has recommended to the imposition of Rs. 3,050 crore penalty on Bharti Airtel, Vodafone and Idea cellular for allegedly denying interconnectivity to Reliance Jio.
- TRAI has found the three companies to be non-compliant with license conditions regarding giving interconnection to Reliance Jio customers.
- It also noted that denial of interconnection by these operators to RJio appears to be with the ulterior motive to stifle competition and is anti-consumer.
- Earlier, Reliance Jio had complained that over 75% of calls on its network are failing as incumbents were not giving sufficient points of interconnect that would help complete calls.
Fifth Tawang festival starts at Tawang town Arunachal Pradesh
Three-day “Tawang festival” has started at historic Tawang town in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The festival has begun with a religious procession (Sebang) carried out by monks from Tawang monastery to the festival ground.
- 18 exhibition stalls were set up, amongst which Monpa stall from Mukto and Lumla demonstrated the process of handmade paper.
Kabaddi World Cup: India beat Iran to win third consecutive title
A brilliant second half performance saw India stage a memorable comeback as they beat Iran 38-29 in the title clash to lift the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup.
· For India, Ajay Thakur was the marquee man with 12 points and saw good support from Nitin Tomar from the bench with six points.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here