Government approves the establishment of National Academic Depository.
- The decision aims at bringing another dimension and enhancement of the vision of Digital India.
- The NAD would be operationalised by NSDL Database Management Limited (NDML) and CDSL Ventures, Limited (CVL) – two of the wholly owned subsidiaries of the Depositories registered under Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) Act, 1992.
Get exclusive updates on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Goa’s First Woman Chief Minister Shashikala Kakodkar Dies At 81
- Shashikala Kakodkar is a prominent leader of the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP), a political party based in Goa, India, that espouses the cause of the Bahujan Samaj.
National Ayurveda Day being observed
- The National Ayurveda Day is being observed on 28 oct 2016. The Ministry of AYUSH is organizing a day-long national seminar on Prevention and Control of Diabetes through Ayurveda in New Delhi. The Ministry will launch Mission Madhumeha through Ayurveda on this occasion.
- The Mission Madhumeha will be implemented throughout the country through a specially designed National Treatment Protocol for effective management of Diabetes through Ayurveda.
Nadia Murad and Lamiya Aji Bashar wins 2016 Sakharov Prize
- Two Yazidi women, Nadia Murad Basee and Lamiya Aji Bashar, who escaped sexual enslavement by Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in Iraq, have won Europe's top human rights award, the Sakharov prize.
- The announcement of the year's joint laureates was made following a decision by European Parliament on 27 October 2016. The Sakharov award ceremony will be held in Strasbourg on 14 December.
Gavaskar appointed ‘Stroke Ambassador’
- Former Indian Cricketer Sunil Gavaskar has been named as ‘Stroke Ambassador of India’.
- The Indian Stroke Association which is hosting the World Stroke Congress (WSC) along with World Stroke Organization (WSO) made this announcement.
- Stroke is a leading cause of disability and death worldwide.
Antarctica’s Ross Sea declared world’s largest marine reserve
- Delegates from 24 countries and the European Union have agreed that the Ross Sea in Antarctica will become the world's largest marine protected area (MPA).
- Some 1.57 million sq km of the Southern Ocean will gain protection from fishing for 35 years.
Japan's Prince Mikasa, world's oldest royal, dies at 100
- Japanese Prince Mikasa, uncle of Emperor Akihito, died at the age of 100 on Thursday, 27 October. He was the oldest imperial family member in the world.
- Mikasa was the fifth in the line of succession to the Japanese throne Chrysanthemum, a metaphorical name for the monarchy.