Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi & former PM Shastri on their birth anniversary
- The nation pays homage to Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi on his 147th birth anniversary on 02nd October, 2016.
- The nation also remembers the former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his birth anniversary. Born in 02nd October 1904, he joined the Indian independence movement in the 1920s and held several important portfolios in the Jawaharlal Nehru's government including Railways and as Home Minister.
Download Exclusive Notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Arunachal CM flags off all-women Mt Gorichen expedition
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu lagged off an all-women Mt Gorichen expedition in Itanagar.
- This will be the first all women team attempting to summit the second highest peak of the state, which is considered as a technical peak and only seasoned climbers can make it to the top (6,488 m).
Gangtok conferred Cleanest Tourist Destination honour
- At a time when the Swachh Bharat Mission is in full swing, the Union Ministry of Tourism has conferred the Cleanest Tourist Destination on the Sikkim capital (Gangtok).
- Chandigarh and Mysore were felicitated for 'Clean Cities in million plus population category' and Gangtok for 'Cleanest Tourism Destination'.
Rajeev Sharma takes over as Power Finance CMD
- Rajeev Sharma has taken over as the Chairman and Managing Director of state-run Power Finance Corporation (PFC) with effect from October 1st, 2016.
- Sharma succeeds M K Goel who retired on September 30, 2016 on attaining the age of superannuation.
International day for non violence: 2nd October
- The International Day of Non-Violence is marked on 2 October, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, leader of the Indian independence movement and pioneer of the philosophy and strategy of non-violence.
- According to General Assembly resolution A/RES/61/271 of 15 June 2007, which established the commemoration, the International Day is an occasion to "disseminate the message of non-violence, including through education and public awareness".
Centre constitutes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India
- The Centre has constituted a four-member Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) under the Chairmanship of M.S. Sahoo. The oath of office was administered by Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Arun Jaitley in New Delhi.
- The members of the IBBI are Ajay Tyagi, Additional Secretary, Finance Ministry; Amardeep Singh Bhatia, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs; G.S. Yadav, Joint Secretary, Department of Legal Affairs; and Unnikrishnan, Legal Advisor, Reserve Bank of India.
Kieren Dsouza becomes the first Indian to complete World's toughest race, Spartathlon
- Bengaluru's Kieren Dsouza has become the first Indian to complete the Spartathlon, widely described as the "world's toughest race".
- The 23-year old completed the 246.6 km distance in the 2016 edition, in 33 hours, one minute and 38 seconds. The Spartathlon is an annual run between Athens and Sparta in Greece, with a reported success rate of 50%.
Gujarat world heritage site: Rani ki Vav bags ‘Cleanest Iconic Place’ award
- Gujarat’s 900-year-old World Heritage Site Rani ki Vav beat 10 other iconic heritage structures across the country to bag an award for the “Cleanest Iconic Place” at the Indian Sanitation Conference (INDOSAN) 2016 at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi.
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has maintained the monument and its surroundings very well, offering clean drinking water and proper sanitation, among other things, to tourists.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here