Japan’s Yoshinori Ohsumi wins Nobel Prize in medicine
- Japanese cell biologist Yoshinori Ohsumi (71-year) has received the 2016 Noble Prize in Medicine for his discoveries on how cells recycle their content, a process known as autophagy.
- Ohsumi is a professor in Tokyo Institute of Technology ‘s Frontier Research Center.
- Dr. Ohsumi, who was born in 1945 in Fukuoka, Japan and received a Ph.D. from the University of Tokyo in 1974.
Get Free IBPS PO NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Abu Dhabi Crown Prince to be Chief guest on Republic Day 2017
- The crown prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will be the chief guest at the Republic Day parade on 26th January 2017.
- Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Spokesman Vikas Swarup has announced in New Delhi after the crown prince accepted invitation.
“Murga” wins first prize at Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival
- Maharashtra Young filmmaker Katyayan Shivpuri has won the first prize at the Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival (SBSFF) for his work “Murga“.
- The Union Information and Broad casting Minister M Venkaiah Naidu bestowed award upon Katyayan with a certificate and cash prize of 10 lakhs rupees.
2 October: International Day of Non-Violence
- The International Day of Non-violence is observed on 2nd October throughout the world on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- This day in India is also celebrated as Gandhi Jayanti to mark birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi who was leader of Indian independence movement and also pioneer of philosophy of non-violence.
Assam CM Sonowal releases report on human development
- Chief Minister of Assam Sarbanand Sonowal has released the second Human Development report 2014 of Assam in Guwahati .
- The report presents a detailed scenario of the overall human development in the state.
- The report observed that the overall level of human development in Assam has shown a continuous improvement over the last 15 years.
- It puts the Human Development Index in Assam at 0.557.
- 56.4 % people are enjoying subjective well being which means people are either moderately satisfied or intensively satisfied.
Delhi Police launches Mobile App for senior citizens
- The Delhi Police has launched a mobile application “Delhi Police Senior Citizen” for senior citizens to enable them to reach out to the police quickly in emergency situations.
- The mobile application was launched by Delhi Lieutenant Governor(LG) Najeeb Jung at a function in New Delhi .
- The app will have the facility of pressing an SOS button for emergency call to the senior citizens helpline 1291.
- The application will be available on Google Play Store.
Rajasthan becomes first state to adopt LED street lights under all ULBs
- Rajasthan has become the first India state to adopt Central Government’s Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) in all its urban local bodies (ULB).
- Around 5 lakh conventional street lights were replaced with LED street lights across the state under this project.
- The project was funded by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) under the administration of the Union Ministry of Power.
Daniel Ricciardo wins 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix
- Daniel Ricciardo from Australia has won the 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix held at the Sepang International Circuit in Selangor, Malaysia.
- Earlier, Ricciardo has also won the British Formula 3 Championship in 2009.
- The Malaysian Grand Prix is a round of the Formula One World Championship.
India’s Gaganjeet Bhullar wins Korea Open
- India’s Arjuna awardee golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar (28-year) has won the 6th Asian Tour title, Korea Open 2016 in Incheon, South Korea.
- He was awarded a cash prize of 216 million-won ($196,000) for winning the title.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here