Strange matter wins physics Nobel
- The 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics has been awarded to three British-born scientists for discoveries about strange forms of matter.
- David Thouless, Duncan Haldane and Michael Kosterlitz will share the 8m kronor (£727,000) prize.
- Their work could result in improved materials for electronics and is already informing one approach to super-fast computing.
Download IBPS PO Notes on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Indian-origin Kiara Nirghin wins 2016 Google Science Fair prize
- Indian-origin South African teen Kiara Nirghin (16-year) has won a $50,000 scholarship, the grand prize at the annual Google Science Fair held in United States.
- She has won this prestigious scholarship for her work using orange peel to develop a cheaper “super-absorbent material” that helps soil retain water.
- She is Grade 11 student at private school St Martin’s.
Elephant researcher Prajna Chowta conferred with knighthood by France
- Elephant researcher and Film-maker Prajna Chowta (46-years) has been appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (Knight in the National Order of Merit) by the French government.
- The National Order of Merit is a French order of merit with membership awarded by the President of the French Republic.
- The official ceremony is expected to be held later this year in Bengaluru(Karnataka).
- Prajna Chowta is the founder of Aane Mane Foundation ,researching and conserving wild Asian elephants.
Jharkhand becomes first state to implement DBT in Kerosene
- Jharkhand has become India’s first state to implement Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) in Kerosene.
- The DBT scheme is being implemented in four identified districts of the State (Chatra, Hazaribagh, Khunti and Jamtara) from 1st October.
- Under the Scheme, PDS kerosene is being sold at non-subsidized price and the subsidy is being transferred to consumers directly into their bank accounts.
Jawhar Sircar resigns as CEO of Prasar Bharati Corporation
- Jawhar Sircar has resigned as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Prasar Bharati Corporation.
- Sircar resignation has come four months ahead of the end of his tenure which was about to end in February 2017.
- He was appointed as Prasar Bharati CEO in 2012.
Yesudas to be brand ambassador of ‘Haritha Keralam’ project of Kerala
- Eminent playback singer K J Yesudas ( 76-year) has been Chosen as the brand ambassador of its ambitious ‘Haritha Keralam‘ project by the Kerala’ government
- Haritha Keralam (Green Kerala) project is a massive initiative envisaged for a garbage-free and clean state.
EC launches mobile app for UP assembly polls
- The Election Commission (EC) has launched a new mobile application for more transparency and effective monitoring of electoral rolls in the ongoing revision of voters’ list in Uttar Pradesh.
- “The mobile app for ERMS (Electoral Rolls Management System) will provide details regarding addition and deletion of names from the voters’ list .
- The status of the applications filed by voters for either deleting or adding of name will also be available booth-wise on the app.
- The app has been developed by the UP state unit of the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
Kersti Kaljulaid Elected First Female President of Estonia
- Kersti Kaljulaid (46-years) has been elected as the President of Estonia by the parliament.
- Kaljulaid (a European Union accountant) will be the first female president of Estonia.
- She will succeed the current president Toomas Hendrik Ilves who is stepping down next week after two five-year terms in the ceremonial post.
RBI announces 4th Bi-monthly Policy Statement
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Urjit Patel has announced his first and country’s 4th Bi-monthly Policy Statement for the year 2016-17.
- The Reserve Bank of India has cut Repo rate by 25 bps to 6.25 percent.
- Reverse repo rate under the LAF stands adjusted to 5.75 per cent, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate to 6.75 per cent.
- All six members of the monetary policy committee voted in favour of cutting Repo rate.
SBI becomes first domestic bank to open branch in Yangon
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has became the first domestic bank of India to open a branch in the capital city of Yangon, Myanmar.
- Ghanshyam Srivastava will be the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the SBI Yangon branch.
- Earlier, Myanmarese central bank has allowed SBI to open a branch with the primary objective of extending wholesale banking services to foreign corporate.
- The SBI Yangon branch is the 54th foreign branch of the State Bank of India.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here