India lifts Asian Champions Trophy
- India has lifted the Men’s Asian Champions Trophy Hockey at Wisma Belia Hockey Stadium,Kuantan, Malaysia.
- India has defeated defending champions Pakistan 3-2 to win the tournament.
- Earlier, India had won the inaugural edition of the Asian Champions Trophy by defeating Pakistan in the final in 2011.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
31st October: World Cities Day
- The World is observing Cities Day with the commitment to work together for a planned and sustainable urban life in the wake of rapid growth of population and problems.
- This year, the United Nations (UN) has selected the theme “Inclusive Cities, Shared Development” to highlight the important role of urbanization as a source of global development and social inclusion.
Vigilance Awareness Week being observed
- Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed across the country to promote probity in public life and achieve a corruption-free society.
- The theme of the week this year is “Public participation in promoting integrity and eradicating Corruption”.
- The Commission will visit schools, colleges and industry bodies and other institutions to seek support for creating awareness against the corruptions.
- The observance of week commenced with pledge taking by public servants in the Ministries, Departments, PSUs, Banks and all other Organisations.
- The week is observed every year from 31st October, the birthday Anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Gujarati new year celebrated
- New Year Bestu Varas is being celebrated with traditional zeal and fervour in Gujarat.
- The next day after Diwali is marked as the beginning of Hindu New Year Vikram Savanstar, which is celebrated across Gujarat as a new year.
- The day is of special significance for traders and businessmen as it is marked the beginning of the financial year for them and the new ledgers are opened on this auspicious day.
World Bank appoints Kristalina Georgieva as chief executive
- The Former head of EU humanitarian affairs and vice-president of the European commission Kristalina Georgieva has been appointed the chief executive of the World Bank.
- Recently, she lost out in the race to become United Nations (UN) secretary general.
- Georgieva is currently European commission vice-president for budget and human resource.
Michel Aoun set to be elected Lebanon’s president
- Lebanon’s parliament has elected Michel Aoun as president, ending a political stand-off that has left the post empty for more than two years.
- Mr Aoun is backed by the powerful Shia Islamist group, Hezbollah.
- His candidacy was blocked by the rival, Sunni-dominated Future Movement until a deal was struck earlier this month.
DoPT launches Employees Online (EO) Mobile App
- The Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT) under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions has launched Employees Online (EO) App.
- The application would enable its users, which may include officers, media persons and all stakeholders to stay updated on real time basis with appointments and postings approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) and vacancies at the senior level in the Government of India.
- The App aims to update on ACC appointments and postings on real time basis and to bring transparency.
Scientists develop new Arhar variety
- The scientists at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute have developed a new variety of Arhar PUSA-16 (pigeon-pea) variety that matures in 120 days.
- It gives the same yields of normal plants and is amenable to mechanical combine harvesting.
- The new high-yielding variety of the new arhar seeds will be made available to farmers from next Kharif season so that these are brought into the production chain at the earliest.
- Its production is 20 quintals per hectare and has 20 to 23 percent protein content in it.
Daughters of Mother India wins at CAM International Film Festival
- Indian National Award winning documentary “Daughters of Mother India” has won the first prize in the Documentary Film category at the sixth CAM International Film Festival in Cairo, Egypt.
- The CAM International Film Festival has been organised by Arabic Egyptian Society for Culture, Media and Arts (CMA).
- The fest is organised annually to promote cinema as a means of combating ignorance, poverty and terrorism.
- The 2016 edition featured around 92 films from 33 countries in three categories(Short Fiction, Documentary and Animation).
47th international film festival of India to be held in Goa
- The 47th International Film Festival of India will be held in Goa from 20th-28th November.
- It will screen 26 feature films, including Sultan , Airlift and 21 non-feature films.
- Award-winning films on ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan‘ will also be screened during the festival.
- Film Festival being held jointly by the Goa Government, Information and Broadcasting Ministry and Directorate of Film Festivals.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here