Single sentence novel wins £10,000 UK literary award
- The novel 'Solar Bones' by Ireland's Mike McCormack was awarded the £10,000 (approximately 8.2 lakhs) 2016 Goldsmiths Prize, which recognises fiction that "breaks the mould"
- The novel is written in a single sentence over 224 pages.
- It is about the recollections of an Irish engineer brought back from the dead.
- Notably, McCormack is the third Irish writer to win the award.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Roger Federer wins Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award
- Former world number one Roger Federer won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award at the ATP awards
- It is Roger’s 12th Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award.
- The award is given to players who display the "spirit of the sport" on the court.
- Roger Federer also won the Fans' Favourite Award for the 14th consecutive time in his career.
Kamala Harris becomes 1st Indian-American to enter US Senate
- The 52-year-old Kamala Harris has become the first Indian-American elected to the US Senate.
- Contesting for the Democratic party from California, Harris defeated Republican rival Loretta Sanchez.
- is also the first black senator from California, and the second black woman to serve in the US Senate, reports said.
Pramila Jayapal 1st Indian-American woman to enter US House
- India-born Pramila Jayapal won the Washington State Senate seat.
- She becomes the first Indian-American woman to be elected to the US House of Representatives.
- 52-year-old Jayapal secured 57% votes to defeat her opponent, Brady Walkinshaw.
PM Narendra Modi In Japan for Annual Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached Tokyo to attend the annual India-Japan bilateral summit to be held on Friday.
- In a pre-departure statement in Tokyo on Wednesday, PM Modi said the high-speed railway cooperation between the two countries would boost bilateral trade and investment.
- He will call on Japanese Emperor Akihito and review the entire spectrum of the bilateral cooperation with Prime Minister Abe in Tokyo on November 11.
National Education Day
- National Education Day (NED) is observed on 11 November
- It marks of the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
- Ministry of Human Resource Development will make new initiatives to mark the National Education Day.
Second BRICS Communication Ministers meeting to begin in Bengaluru t
- The two -day second BRICS Communication Ministers meeting chaired by Minister of State for Communication Manoj Sinha will began in Bengaluru on 10th November.
- The high-level delegation from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa deliberate for greater cooperation in Telecommunication and ICT sectors.
- This meeting is hosted for the first time by India, the Communication Ministers Conference will draw course of action on creating new frameworks of cooperation and collaboration among BRICS countries.
Two-day Economic Editors' Conference begins in New Delhi
- The Press Information Bureau in collaboration with the Union Ministry of Finance has organised the meet.
- Jaitley inaugurated the proceedings with the lighting of a digital lamp and later delivered the keynote address.
- Other speakers included Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways and Shipping, Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of State(Independent Charge) Petroleum & Natural Gas, and others.