Sreejesh, Harmanpreet in fray for FIH awards
- P.R. Sreejesh and Harmanpreet Singh are the only Indians in fray for the annual Hockey Stars awards 2016
- Sreejesh is a contender for the goalkeeper of the year award, while upcoming defender Harmanpreet is a part of the list for the rising star of the year, which is a category for U-23 players.
- There were no Indian contenders for the player of the year award in both the men’s and women’s categories.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Kakarala Madhavi Appointed as the Andhra Odisha Border (AOB) Secretary
- The CPI (Maoist) Central Committee has reportedly appointed Kakarala Madhavi as the Andhra Odisha Border (AOB) secretary
- She replaces Bakuri Venkataramana, alias Ganesh, who was killed in the encounter at AOB between October 24 and 26
- Ms. Madhavi served the party in different roles for about 10 years in Telangana, Odisha, Dandakaranya and other areas.
- Another senior Maoist leader Pothula Kalpana has been appointed in-charge of military operations in the area. Ms. Kalpana has been part of the banned outfit for about 10 years.
'The Guest' won short film award at MAMI Film Fest
- Short film 'The Guest', which emerged as the winner in the 'Large Short Films' category at the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image (MAMI) Film Festival has been released online.
- The short film has been directed by Ayappa KM and stars Avinash Tiwari and Yana Mistry. The film is about a young man, who unknowingly ends up in a strange place.
Narinder Batra becomes first Indian president of FIH
- Narinder Batra on Saturday became the first Indian to be elected the president of the International Hockey Federation
- Batra, who is the president of Hockey India, defeated David Balbirnie of Ireland and Australia's Ken Read to become the 12th FIH president -- the first Asian to grab the post.
- Batra succeeds Leandro Negre, who has been the FIH chief since 2008.
PM Modi to lay foundation stone of new international airport at Mopa in Goa
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of a new international airport at Mopa in north Goa today.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar will also attend the function.
- This will be the PM's gift to Goa before elections there in February.
- This would be the second visit of the Prime Minister to the state in the last two months, the first one being during the BRICS summit in south Goa.
11-year-old Pune girl wins Google India's doodle competition
- Pune-based Anvita Telang has been declared the winner of Google India's 'Doodle 4 Google' competition. This year's theme was 'If I could teach anyone anything...' and through her doodle, the 11-year-old said she would "like to teach everyone to take time to enjoy every moment of life".
- Her doodle will be displayed on Google India's homepage on November 14.
Mark Zuckerberg named Fortune's Business Person of the Year
- Facebook Co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been named by Fortune magazine as the 'Business Person of the Year' for 2016.
- According to Fortune, the 32-year-old's "ability to look into the future, his otherworldly consistency and business discipline" make him an effective businessperson.
- Zuckerberg is currently the world's fifth richest person, with an estimated net worth of $50.9 billion.