Airtel announces merger with Axiata in Bangladesh
- Telecom operator Bharti Airtel announced the completion of the merger of its subsidiary unit in Bangladesh with Robi Axiata.
- Post-merger, Axiata will hold 68.7% stake in the entity while Airtel will hold 25% and the remaining 6.3% stake will be held by NTT DoCoMo
- This entity will now be the second-largest mobile operator in Bangladesh.
Get Job Alerts on your MobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Shillong hosts India's first cherry blossom festival
- The first cherry blossom festival in India was held this week in Shillong, with Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma inaugurating the event.
- The opening ceremony of the four-day festival featured fashion shows, cycle rallies, a Cherry Blossom run and a Cherry Blossom beauty pageant.
- The festival was organised by the state government.
Reliance Global launches international calling app
- Reliance Global Call has launched an international calling app "RGC India" which allows direct-dialling of contacts, doing away with the need to enter toll-free or PIN numbers
- It also announced an introductory offer wherein customers can avail talk-time worth Rs. 200 on sign-up with Rs.100.
- This is available to mobile and landline users of India on networks like Reliance and Airtel.
Airbnb launches local tour feature
- Airbnb recently launched a feature called 'Trips', which enables travellers to experience local activities in places they visit.
- The flagship piece of Trips, called 'experiences', will match travellers with locals who offer guided activities in the area.
- The feature, available in 12 cities, currently lists about 500 experiences including multi-day excursions and hours-long experiences.
Priyanka nominated for People's Choice Awards for 2nd time
- Actress Priyanka Chopra has been nominated for American awards show, People's Choice Awards for the second time.
- She has been nominated in the 'Favourite Dramatic TV Actress' category for the role of 'Alex Parrish' in the American TV series 'Quantico'.
- Notably, Priyanka became the first Indian to win the People's Choice Awards when she won it in 2016.
World's largest LEGO store opens in London
- Toy company LEGO on Thursday opened its largest store, spread over two-storeys, in Leicester Square, London.
- The store features a 20-foot tall Big Ben clock tower made of 200,000 bricks and a 'Mosaic Maker' for customers to purchase their own LEGO mosaic portrait.
- The opening also included the unveiling of a new LEGO mascot Lester, an English tea-drinking Minifigure.