India becomes an Associate Member of CERN
- India on Monday became an Associate Member of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), the world's largest nuclear and particle physics laboratory.
- CERN's Director General said that India's membership will open opportunities for Indian industries to participate directly in CERN projects. As a member nation, CERN requires India to make an annual contribution of approx Rs.77 crore.
Download GK Digest for IBPS PO v2 on App
World Television Day is observed on November 21
- The United Nations has designated November 21 as 'World Television Day', recognising that television plays a major role in presenting different issues that affect people.
- It seeks to celebrate the philosophy of television, a tool which represents a symbol for communication and globalisation in the contemporary world. On November 21-22, 1996 the UN held the first World Television Forum.
Ariana wins Artist of the Year at American Music Awards
- Singer Ariana Grande was named 'Artist of the Year' at the 2016 American Music Awards (AMAs).
- While Selena Gomez won the AMA for 'Favorite Female Artist - Pop/Rock', Justin Bieber won the award in the male category.
- Bieber also won the 'Video of the Year' award for his track 'Sorry'. Further, Drake was named 'Favorite Artist - Rap/Hip-Hop'.
NASA launches most advanced weather satellite into space
- NASA successfully launched GOES-R, claimed to be the world's most advanced weather satellite, on Saturday from Florida.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration teamed up with NASA to rocket the spacecraft, which is the first in a series of four high-tech satellites initiative, valued at $11 billion. GOES-R is missioned to provide faster and more accurate weather forecasts for the US.
China launches world's longest quantum communication line
- China launched a 712-km quantum communication line on Sunday, stated to be the world's longest secure telecommunications network.
- Linking Hefei to Shanghai, the line is equipped with ultra-high security systems and is claimed to be hack-proof.
- It is part of a 2,000-km Beijing-Shanghai communication line, which will be connected to China's quantum satellite for the space-to-Earth communication network.
Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar wins Indonesia Open
- Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar on Monday won the $300,000 (₹2 crore) BANK BRI-JCB Indonesia Open for the second time in his career.
- Two-time Asian Tour number one Jeev Milkha Singh finished tied-second in the tournament, which was his best result since 2012.
- It was Bhullar's overall seventh Asian Tour victory and the second title this season.
India's longest expressway from Agra to Lucknow inaugurated
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav inaugurated India's longest expressway from Agra to Lucknow on Monday.
- The 302-km expressway, completed in a record time of 23 months, would reportedly reduce the Lucknow-Delhi journey time by almost half to 5-6 hours.
- The inaugural event saw Indian Air Force fighter jets perform simulated landings on the expressway, a first for any road launch.
Andhra Pradesh CM commissions 5 MW solar power plant
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on Monday commissioned a 5 MW solar power plant in Gollagudem village of the West Godavari district.
- The plant, set up at a cost of ₹37.58 crore, will produce 8.06 million units of power annually.
- Andhra Pradesh had also commissioned India's first solar park with a capacity of 250 MW in Ananthapuramu district.
Quikr buys home rental startup Grabhouse in all-stock deal
- Bengaluru-based classified advertising platform Quikr on Monday acquired home rental startup Grabhouse in an all-stock deal reportedly worth Rs.68 crore ($10 million).
- As it struggled to grow, Sequoia Capital and Kalahari Capital-backed Grabhouse was looking for a buyer and was in talks with NestAway and Oyo for the buyout. In December 2015, Grabhouse fired 100 employees following a restructuring.
Humana Wins Two Stevie® Awards for Women in Business
- Humana Inc. a leading health and well-being company, has won two Stevie® Awards – one for its Workplace Voluntary Benefit (WVB) well-being benefit and one for Sharon Parsons, Humana’s integration product category leader – in the 13th annual Stevie Awards for Women in Business
- Humana’s Workplace Voluntary Benefit (WVB) well-being benefit won a Bronze Stevie Award in the Best New Product or Service of the Year - Business Products and Services category. Meanwhile, Sharon Parsons received a Bronze Stevie Award in the Employee of the Year - Business - All Other Industries category.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here