Trump names India-origin Nikki Haley as UN ambassador
- US President-elect Donald Trump has named South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley as the country's ambassador to the UN. Haley, daughter of Indian immigrants, was a Trump critic during the presidential race and had even endorsed Ted Cruz for the Republican nomination.
- Haley is the first woman appointed to a top-level administration post during Trump's White House transition so far.
Michael Jordan awarded Presidential Medal of Freedom
- US President Barack Obama presented American basketball legend Michael Jordan with USA's highest civilian honour in the form of the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Tuesday. The award was presented to a total of 21 recipients, including philanthropists Bill and Melinda Gates, comedian Ellen DeGeneres, basketball player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and actors Tom Hanks and Robert De Niro.
- Actress-comedian and TV show host Ellen DeGeneres was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by US President Barack Obama.
Airtel launches India's 1st payments bank
- Bharti Airtel on Wednesday launched a pilot of India's first payments bank in Rajasthan with 7.25% interest on deposits in savings accounts.
- Airtel subscribers' mobile number will function as a bank account number and transfer from Airtel to Airtel phone numbers will be free.
- Payments banks can accept deposits of up to 1 lakh per account, but cannot issue loans.
Indian journalist gets International Press Freedom Award
- Indian Journalist Malini Subramaniam has been conferred with the International Press Freedom Award for her reporting from Chhattisgarh's Naxal-infested Bastar area. She is one of the four journalists felicitated for their commitment to a free press. Subramaniam, a contributor to 'Scroll', has reported on abuses by security forces, sexual violence, jailing of minors and other issues in the region.
Mumbai's Oshiwara station to be inaugurated on Nov 27
- The newly built Oshiwara station is set to be inaugurated on November 27 in Mumbai and will thereafter be open for commuters, reports said.
- The suburban station would help in decongesting Jogeshwari and Goregaon stations which presently witness over 2.5 lakh passengers daily. "Trains stopping at Oshiwara station will help resolve our commuting woes here," a daily commuter said.
10th Sula Fest to be held in February
- The tenth Sula Fest will be held between February 3 and 5 at the Sula Vineyards in Nashik, Maharashtra.
- The 'early bird' tickets for the festival, which is also offering a camping stay facility, range from ₹1700 to ₹4700.
- Sula Fest will feature professional wine tastings, grape stomping, as well as a complimentary bottle of wine per person.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here