India defeats Malaysia 4-2 in 4 nations hockey tournament
- India registered their first win in the four nations Men's Invitational hockey tournament, defeating Malaysia 4-2 in Melbourne on Thursday.
- Nikkin Thimmaiah scored a brace, while Rupinder Pal Singh and Akashdeep Singh got a goal each for India.
- India, who lost their opening match against Australia on Wednesday, next face New Zealand on Saturday in a must-win game.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
IIT Kharagpur named top university in India for jobs
- For the second time in a row, IIT Kharagpur has been named the top university in India in terms of jobs and placements, by QS Employability Ranking of top 200 universities across the world.
- IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Delhi and Delhi University also feature on the list. Stanford University in the US has topped the list globally.
Arunachal govt renames sports trophy after martyred jawan
- Arunachal Pradesh's sports department has renamed the state-level Chief Minister's Trophy for men's and women's football and volleyball after martyred jawan Hangman Dada. Dada died in Kupwara on May 27 this year after killing three terrorists. Chief Minister Pema Khandu had proposed renaming the trophy after the martyr, with the decision being ratified on Wednesday.
Tribals celebrate Wangala harvest festival in Guwahati
- Hundreds of Garo tribals gathered in Guwahati to celebrate the harvest festival of Wangala, which marks the end of a period of toil for farmers.
- While men play the drums during the festival, women perform the Wangala Dance. The festival attracts a large crowd, including tourists, every year.
1st Moon mission coder receives US' highest civilian award
- Margaret Hamilton, the lead software engineer on the world's first successful manned lunar mission, Apollo 11, has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, US' highest civilian award. Hamilton headed the MIT department tasked with developing the guidance and navigation system software for the NASA project. Notably, Hamilton is often credited with coining the term 'software engineering'.
Airbnb partners with SEWA for rural tourism
- Home rental platform 'Airbnb' on Thursday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Self-Employed Women's Association of India (SEWA) to boost rural tourism in India.
- Through the partnership, Airbnb will work with SEWA members to help them share their homes with Airbnb’s guests, creating economic opportunities for women in rural areas and promoting tourism.
Maha Haddioui is the first Arab female professional golfer
- Maha Haddioui from Morocco is the Arab world's first female professional golfer. Haddioui, who started playing golf when she was 13 years old, is now in the European Tour's Top 50 and also represented Morocco at the Summer Olympic Games. The video features her discussing the struggles she faced to become a professional golfer.
Miami named world's most inspiring city
- Miami has been named the world's most inspiring city, in a survey by travel company TravelBird. It has been followed by Bruges and San Francisco.
- TravelBird ranked a total of 85 cities, placing Jodhpur at 76th and Mumbai at 83rd place. The cities were ranked based on the number of performing arts companies, art schools, galleries and museums present there.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here