Mary Kom to receive 'Legends Award' by AIBA
- Five-time World Boxing champion MC Mary Kom will be awarded the 'Legends Award' by Amateur International Boxing Association (AIBA) on its 70th anniversary. Speaking on the honour, Mary Kom said, "This recognition from AIBA will encourage young boxers in our country to work hard. It is a very emotional as well as a motivating day for me."
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Taj Balloon Festival 2016 begins in Agra
- The 'Taj Balloon Festival' 2016, organised by the UP tourism department, will take place between November 25-30 near the Taj Mahal in Agra. The festival will feature about 16 hot air balloons from 12 countries, including India, USA, UK, Canada, Spain, UAE, and Netherlands. Additionally, 40 lucky draw winners will get a free one-hour aerial ride during the festival.
7 Indian startups selected for Google Launchpad Accelerator
- Google has selected 7 Indian startups to participate in the third edition of its Launchpad Accelerator program. The selected mid to late stage startups include Flyrobe, HashLearn, RentoMojo, Capture CRM, Curvy, Happy Adda Studios and Payment. Google will provide them with $50,000 (₹34 lakh) in equity-free funding and a two-week all-expense paid boot camp at Google Headquarters in Silicon Valley.
Tata Steel removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman
- Tata Steel board on Friday announced that former Tata Sons head Cyrus Mistry will no longer serve as its Chairman. Independent director OP Bhatt has been appointed as the Interim Chairman till December 21. The board has also decided to convene an extraordinary general meeting to remove Mistry and independent director Nusli Wadia as directors on the company's board.
Delhi: Signal-free Vikaspuri-Wazirabad corridor inaugurated
- The 23.6 km-long Vikaspuri-Wazirabad signal-free corridor in outer Delhi was opened to the public on Friday by the Delhi government. The corridor's last part, a six-lane flyover at Mukundpur Chowk, was inaugurated on Friday, which is expected to ease traffic congestion on the city's Outer Ring Road. The corridor was conceptualised during the Sheila Dikshit-led government.
Manoj, Nawazuddin awarded at Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- Actor Manoj Bajpayee was named the Best Actor for his film 'Aligarh' at the 10th Asia Pacific Screen Awards held in Brisbane, Australia on Thursday. Nawazuddin Siddiqui won a special mention in the Best Actor category for the film 'Raman Raghav 2.0'. The Asia Pacific Screen Awards is said to be the region's highest accolade in films.
India's first underwater festival to be held in Pune
- The Pune Underwater Festival, considered the first of its kind in India, will be held in Pune on Sunday. The festival will feature an underwater playground, an underwater photo booth and an underwater obstacle course. Visitors will also get a chance to play underwater hockey and water polo. The tickets range from ₹1,750 to ₹4,500.
Sindhu becomes highest-ranked Indian shuttler for 1st time
- PV Sindhu has surpassed Saina Nehwal for the first time in the Badminton World Federation rankings to become the highest-ranked Indian shuttler. Sindhu jumped two spots to be ranked 9th, while Saina dropped five places to the 11th spot, which is her lowest ranking in seven years. Saina had not been outside the top 10 since entering it in 2009.
Vishnu Raj Menon wins 'Peter England Mr India' pageant
- Bengaluru-based Vishnu Raj Menon was on Thursday selected as 'Peter England Mr India' at the grand finale of the pageant at Playboy Club Mumbai. The pageant, which reportedly received over 10,000 entries, selected Viren Barman as the first and Altamash Faraz as the second runner-up. Bollywood actor Hrithik Roshan was the celebrity guest at the event.
Bangladesh to honour 1,668 martyrs of the Indian Army
- Bangladesh will honour 1,668 members of the Indian Army, who were martyred during the Bangladesh Liberation War. Their families will receive a Rs. 5 lakh purse as a mark of respect, said Liberation War Affairs Minister A.K.M. Mozammel Huq. The Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, will be in Delhi on 18-20 December to hand over the money, in Indian currency, to the martyrs’ family members
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here