Lt General AK Bhatt to be appointed new DGMO of Indian Army
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on Monday approved the appointment of Lieutenant General AK Bhatt as the new Director General Military Operation (DGMO) of Indian Army.
- The incumbent DGMO Lt General Ranbir Singh has been promoted to General Officer Commanding of Strike 1 Corps. Notably, Bhatt was promoted to the rank of Lt General from Major General in April.
Download Exclusive notes on your mobile
Install GK Digest Android App here
India's first bicycle highway inaugurated in UP
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday inaugurated India's first bicycle highway, from Etawah to Agra, reports said.
- The opening ceremony at Lion Safari in Etawah was followed by a rally of 90 cyclists from various countries.
- The 207-kilometre long and 7-feet wide highway was constructed by the UP Public Works Department and runs parallel to the main highway.
Zimbabwe launches a new currency
- Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has launched bond notes equivalent to US dollar, to be issued on Monday by the country's central bank.
- This comes after unrest in Zimbabwe as the government delayed state officials' salaries. The central bank said bond notes will ease currency shortages, but reports suggest it could encourage increased cash printing, similar to what happened in 2008.
Traditional arts by minority communities displayed at IITF
- About 184 artisans from minority communities showcased traditional arts at the India International Trade Fair (IITF).
- Various crafts, including Uttar Pradesh's chikan embroidery, Bihar's Madhubani art, and pottery works, were showcased at the 'Hunar Haat' during the 9-day fair at Pragati Maidan.
- The initiative, organised by the Ministry of Minority Affairs, aimed at the upliftment of minorities.
Pranaav Chopra-Sikki Reddy finish second at Scotland Open
- India's badminton mixed doubles pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N Sikki Reddy finished as runners-up at the $55,000 Scottish Open Grand Prix.
- They lost 21-13, 18-21, 16-21 to Malaysian pair of Goh Soon Huat and Shevon Jemie Lai in the final.
- This was the Indian duo's third final in last five tournaments, having won two of them.
IAS officerSuhas LY wins gold in Para-Badminton Championships
- Uttar Pradesh-based IAS officer Suhas LY won the Asian Para-Badminton Championships in Beijing after defeating Indonesia's Harry Susanto 21-4, 21-11 in the final. Suhas, who is currently posted as the Azamgarh district magistrate, was a wildcard entry to the tournament and had won six consecutive matches to reach the final.
Myntra appoints Ajit Narayanan as its new CTO
- Flipkart-owned fashion platform Myntra has appointed Ajit Narayanan as its new Chief Technology Officer (CTO) as its previous CTO Shamik Sharma has moved on to an advisory role. Narayanan was formerly the head of engineering at Myntra. Sharma is reportedly expected to leave Myntra after a four-year stint at the company.
Rajnath to lead Indian delegation to Fidel Castro's funeral
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will lead the Indian delegation at the funeral of Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.
- The delegation will reportedly include leaders from various political parties like Congress, CPI(M), CPI and Samajwadi Party.
- The team will leave for Havana on Tuesday and is expected to return on Thursday.
Manipur hosts WWII Vintage Jeep Rally
- Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh flagged off the World War II Vintage Jeep Rally from the Koirengei Airfield.
- Organised as part of the Manipur Sangai Festival, the event was aimed at spreading a message of peace.
- Participants were reportedly wearing Japanese and Allied Forces' uniforms and carrying flags of India, Japan and the United Kingdom.
Del Potro-led Argentina win their first ever Davis Cup
- Juan Martín del Potro-led five-men Argentinian side defeated Croatia on Sunday to win their first-ever Davis Cup, dubbed as the World Cup of Tennis.
- It is the seventh time a team has come from 1-2 down to win this tournament.
- The Argentines, who had lost their four previous finals, were given a standing ovation by the spectators, including Diego Maradona.