Government to issue new Rs. 500 and Rs. 2,000 notes from November 10
- The government will start issuing the new ₹500 and ₹2,000 currency notes from November 10, said Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das.
- The new Rs. 500 notes feature the Red Fort, the new Rs. 2,000 notes feature ISRO's Mars orbiter Mangalyaan.
- PM Narendra Modi announced that Rs. 500 and Rs. 1,000 notes will be invalid effective November 8 midnight.
Downlaod exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
IOC gives women's sports award to a male journalist
- The International Olympic Committee has presented its IOC Women and Sport World Trophy to male Ethiopian journalist Dagim Zinabu Tekle.
- He was given the award for creating a radio show "dedicated to inspiring women and girls to be more active in sport."
Singapore Airlines to shop for world's longest jet
- Singapore Airlines is evaluating offers by US-based Boeing and France-based Airbus to build the world's longest jet, which will be added to its fleet, reports have said.
- The airline is expected to back one of the company's designs by the end of the year.
- Both planes will be the longest twin-aisle jets ever, and the biggest with only two engines.
Sachin's "Playing It My Way" shortlisted for Crossword award
- Former Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar's autobiography "Playing It My Way" has been nominated for Crossword's Popular Choice Award.
- The book is vying for the award alongside biographies on MS Dhoni and Salman Khan among others.
Flipkart's ex-CPO Punit Soni launches his own startup
- E-commerce platform Flipkart's former Chief Product Officer Punit Soni on Tuesday announced the launch of his own startup 'Learning Motors'.
- Soni had worked with Google and Motorola and also an adviser and investor in at least three startups.
Raja Krishnamoorthi heading to U.S. Congress
- Indian Raja Krishnamoorthi, a protégée of President Barack Obama, has won the 8th Congressional District of Illinois.
- He is the first Indian American to score a victory
- He was a speaker at the Democratic National Convention earlier this year