SC orders National Anthem to be played at all cinema halls
- The National Anthem should be compulsorily played at all cinema halls across the nation before movie screenings, the Supreme Court ordered on Wednesday.
- It should be accompanied by the National flag onscreen and any abridged version of the Anthem would not be permitted. Everyone present in the halls must rise and pay respect to the National Anthem, the court added.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
PM Modi greets Nagaland on 53rd statehood day
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday greeted the people of Nagaland on the state's 53rd statehood day. "Statehood Day wishes to people of Nagaland, a state known for scenic beauty and talented citizens who will take it to new heights of progress," PM Modi tweeted. It was on this day in 1963 that Nagaland became the 16th state of India.
India signs ₹5,000-cr deal to buy M777 Howitzer guns from US
- India on Wednesday signed a ₹5,000-crore deal with the US to buy 145 M777 lightweight Howitzer guns for the Army. The deal was approved by Defence Ministry in October to strengthen the Army, which has reportedly been facing a crunch in this weaponry segment. While 25 guns will come in ready-to-use condition, the remaining 120 will be assembled in India.
Indian football association nominated for AFC award
- The All India Football Federation has been nominated for the Asian Football Confederation's Member Association (Developing) Award for 2016 alongside Vietnam and Malaysia. The award is given to a member association in recognition of its professional administration and governance as well as its contribution to the development and promotion of the sport at all levels within the country.
Japan hosts ice skating's Grand Prix
- The Japanese city of Sapporo hosted the 2016 NHK Trophy, which is the last of the six events in the 2016-17 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events. The disciplines at the event included men's singles, ladies' singles, pair skating, and ice dancing. Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu and Russia's Anna Pogorilaya won the men's and women's event respectively.
7-year-old Kashmiri wins gold at Asian Karate Championships
- Hashim Mansoor, a seven-year-old boy from Kashmir's Bandipora district, has won a gold medal at the Asian Youth Karate Championships in New Delhi. Mansoor won the gold in the sub-junior category (below 25 kg) after defeating a Sri Lankan opponent in the final. Mansoor has now qualified for the World Championship, to be held next year in September.
Deepika named International Woman of the Year by Esquire
- Deepika Padukone was awarded the title of 'International Woman of the Year' at the Esquire 'Man At His Best Awards' 2016 held in Dubai. Deepika was seen in a tuxedo by fashion designer Monisha Jaising and accessories from Italian luxury brand 'Bulgari'. She will be seen next in 'xXx: The return of Xander Cage', which will mark her Hollywood debut.
Tendulkar's autobiography wins 'Book of the Year' award
- Sachin Tendulkar's autobiography 'Playing It My Way' has won the Crossword Book of the Year Award in the autobiography category. The book was co-written by cricket historian Boria Majumdar and released in November 2014. Earlier, the book had entered the Limca Book of Records for the 'Bestselling Adult Hardback on Release', logging most orders on the first day of publication.
Team India wins 15 medals at International Memoriad Games
- The Indian contingent has won 15 medals including three gold medals at the International Memoriad Games in Las Vegas emerging as the top medal-winning nation at the event. The Memoriad Games, which are held to test memory, mental calculation and photographic reading, includes events like calendar dates calculation, 8x8 digit multiplication and 8-digit square root calculation among others.
Ranveer named International Man of the Year by Esquire
- Ranveer Singh was named the 'International Man of the Year' at the 2016 Esquire 'Man At His Best Awards' held in Dubai. "I am merely a work in progress... [F]or the moment if you... want to see a man at his best -meet me five shots down at the dance floor at the after-party," he said during his acceptance speech.