India becomes world’s 4th largest defence spender
- India has surpassed Russia, France, Japan and Saudi Arabia to become the world’s fourth largest defence spender, claimed the 2016 Jane's Defence Budgets report.
- With an expenditure of over Rs.3 lakh crore in 2016, India is now behind the US, China and the UK.
- The report further estimated that India will surpass the UK in defence spending by 2018.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Diest Android app here
Priyanka appointed UNICEF Global Goodwill Ambassador
- Priyanka Chopra has been announced as the UNICEF Global Goodwill Ambassador to promote child rights at the UNICEF 70th anniversary event.
- She was presented as the ambassador by former footballer David Beckham and actress Millie Bobby Brown.
- "I look forward to working with my fellow advocates to...ensure that we build a world where children's rights are...protected," she wrote.
Zuckerberg named America's Richest Entrepreneur under 40
- Facebook's 32-year-old Co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, with a net worth of $50 billion, has topped Forbes' list of America's Richest Entrepreneurs Under 40 years of age for this year.
- Zuckerberg is followed by another Facebook Co-founder Dustin Moskovitz and Uber Co-founder Garrett Camp.
- Snapchat Co-founder Evan Spiegel and Instagram Co-founder Kevin Systrom also made it to the list.
Gujarat tops list of states in LED bulb distribution
- Gujarat tops the list of states in distribution of LED bulbs as part of country-wide campaign for reducing power consumption, according to a senior official.
- Gujarat has distributed 2.70 crore LED bulbs till December 12 from the date of its launch earlier this year, he added.
- Maharashtra, ranked second, has distributed over 2 crore LED bulbs so far.
Malaysia enthrones new King Sultan Muhammad V
- Malaysia on Tuesday installed its 15th king, Sultan Muhammad V, in a ceremony marked by honour guards and Islamic prayers in the national palace in Kuala Lumpur.
- The Sultan is reportedly known for his relaxed persona, and is interested in reading and extreme sports.
- The ruler of Malaysia is changed every five years between rulers of its nine states.
Yes Bank partners with Grofers to home deliver cash
- Yes Bank has tied-up with grocery delivery startup Grofers to deliver up to Rs. 2,000 cash to customers when they order grocery worth minimum Rs. 1,000 online.
- The service, which is open to all bank account holders, is currently operational in Mumbai, Gurugram and Bengaluru. Grofers delivery executives will carry Yes Bank PoS machines that users can swipe to get cash.
2 Indian-origin entrepreneurs in America's richest under 40
- Two Indian-origin businessmen have been included in Forbes' list of America's wealthiest entrepreneurs under the age of 40. Biopharmaceutical company Roivant Sciences Founder Vivek
- Ramaswamy ranked 24th on the list with a net worth of $600 million, while Instacart Founder Apoorva Mehta ranked 31st on the list with an estimated worth of $360 million.
Trump names ExxonMobil CEO Tillerson as Secretary of State
- US President-elect Donald Trump has picked oil giant Exxon Mobil's CEO Rex Tillerson as the next Secretary of State.
- Trump's team also dismissed concerns over Tillerson's close ties with Russia. Tillerson, who was awarded Russia's Order of Friendship in 2013, has opposed US sanctions against Russia and has connections with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here