Indian appointed to Civil Nuclear Trade Advisory Committee
- A noted Indian-American expert on India-US civil nuclear deal has been re-appointed to the Civil Nuclear Trade Advisory Committee of the US Department of Commerce.
- Vijay Sazawal’s appointment to Civil Nuclear Trade Advisory Committee (CINTAC) was announced by US Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker along with 38 other members.
- “Maintaining US leadership in the nuclear industry is critical to our country’s economic vitality and to global efforts to combat climate change,” Pritzker said.
Install Official GK Digest Android App here
UK becomes first country to approve three-parent babies
- Britain has become the first country in the world to legally offer "three-parent baby" fertility treatments after regulators gave the green light.
- The technique, which uses DNA from two women and a man, would allow mothers who carry disease-causing mutations in their mitochondrial genes to give birth to children free of the illness.
Oracle CEO Safra Catz joins Trump's advisory team
- One of the biggest American computer technology company Oracle's CEO Safra Catz will be joining US President-elect Donald Trump's advisory team.
- Catz was one of the several top technology executives who recently met Trump in New York. The CEOs of Tesla, Uber, PepsiCo and other companies have also joined Trump's advisory team.
Parliament clears Disabilities Bill
- The chances of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill (2014) being discussed by the Upper House were looking slim.
- The Bill was passed without discussion with 119 amendments. The Bill will protect approximately 2.68 crore people with disabilities in the country.
- The Bill has been praised for bringing in a more nuanced and expansive understanding of disability, as it now recognizes 19 conditions, including autism, Parkinson’s Disease and the impact of acid attack – far more than the seven that were in the first version of the Persons with Disabilities Act (1995).
Bharatanatyam guru receives Nadhabrahmam title
- Bharatanatyam guru K. Kalyana Sundaram, director, Sri Rajarajeswari Bharathi Natya Kala Mandir, Mumbai, was conferred the title of Nadhabrahmam at the inauguration of Narada Gana Sabha’s Isai Natya Nataka Vizha.
- The sabha also presented Senior Musician award to renowned vocalist Suguna Varadachari and Tirunelveli P. Subramania Iyer Award to Thavil vidwan Thirupungur T.G. Muthukumarasamy.
V K Sharma appointed LIC chief for 5 years
- Government Wednesday appointed V K Sharma as the chairman of state-owned behemoth Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) for five years.
- Managing Director at LIC, Sharma was already acting as chairman since September 16when the then chairman S K Roy was relieved of his duties.
Saurabh Varma appointed as Publicis Communications' India CEO
- Publicis Communications announces the appointment of Saurabh Varma as CEO of Publicis Communications India.
- Varma’s appointment comes on top of his existing responsibilities as CEO of Leo Burnett’s South Asia operations, and he will be based in Mumbai.
- Varma was appointed CEO of Leo Burnett India in 2013 and a year later was elevated to a South Asia role.
- He has about 20 years of industry experience, seven of which were spent as Chief Strategy Officer for South Asia, in Singapore.
Sulabh founder Bindeshwar Pathak appointed as NALSA member
- Noted social reformer and founder of Sulabh International, Bindeshwar Pathak, has been nominated as a Member of the Central Authority of National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
- Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court, Justice Virendra Singh, was also nominated as a member along with Pathak, by the Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here