Bengaluru to get India's second sericulture centre
- Union minister for Textiles Smriti Irani is set to launch India's second centre of excellence for sericulture in Bengaluru on Tuesday to boost the silk industry, according to reports.
- India's first such centre was set up in Ranchi by the Central Silk Board. Reportedly, the country is currently importing nearly 4,000 metric tonnes of high quality raw silk from China.
Install GK Digest Android Application here
India's boxing fed gets permanent membership in world body
- The International Boxing Association (AIBA) on unanimously voted to induct the Boxing Federation of India (BFI) as one of its permanent members.
- India was provisionally suspended in December 2012 for “possible manipulation” in the erstwhile Indian Amateur Boxing Federation’s elections.
- AIBA's chief also congratulated the BFI for organising and conducting the Nationals.
Govt launches GARV-II app for tracking rural electrification
- Union Minister of State (IC) for Power Piyush Goyal launched the 'GARV-II' app that will provide real-time data on electrification of 6 lakh villages, with 15 lakh habitations, across the country.
- Adding that the application will provide village-wise and habitation-wise data covering 17 crore people, Goyal added that the government aims to achieve '24x7 Power for All'.
SBI launches digital wallet MobiCash in alliance with BSNL
- India's largest lender State Bank of India, in partnership with state-run telco BSNL has launched its mobile wallet application ‘State Bank MobiCash’ for smartphones as well as feature phones.
- It will enable users to deposit cash through BSNL retail outlets and withdraw funds from their accounts.
- This comes amid the government pushing for shift to cashless economy following demonetisation
Maharashtra forest department’s 24x7 helpline
- The Maharashtra forest department will launch a state-wide call centre facility from January 6.
- It will operate from Goregaon in Mumbai and is currently functioning on a trial basis.
- Citizens will soon be able to call on a 24x7 toll free number (1926) to lodge complaints or get information about a variety of issues related to forests and wildlife
First Nepali transgender model to walk at Lakmé Fashion Week
- Anjali Lama is set to be the first Nepali transgender model to walk the ramp at the upcoming Lakmé Fashion Week in February 2017.
- Anjali Lama was born in Nuwakot district as a boy and was named Nabin Waiba.
- She has also been the subject of a documentary titled 'Anjali: Living Inside Someone Else's Skin'.
Odisha Cabinet approves mega lift irrigation projects
- The state cabinet today approved the proposal to award works for 54 more schemes under the Mega Lift Irrigation Scheme in four clusters to irrigate about 62,000 hectares. The projects will cost Rs 1796.27 crore.
- The schemes will cover 23 blocks in five districts of Sundargarh, Jharsuguda, Ganjam, Kalahandi and Nuapada. Larsen and Toubro
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here