Ravichandran Ashwin named ICC Cricketer of the Year
- Indian all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin has been named the ICC Cricketer of the Year and Test Cricketer of the Year during the year-end ICC awards.
- Ashwin, the top-ranked Test bowler and all-rounder, scored 612 runs and took 72 wickets in Tests this year, including eight five-wicket hauls.
- He is also the only Indian in the ICC Test team of the year.
Install GK Digest Android Application here
Virat Kohli named captain of ICC ODI Team of the Year
- Virat Kohli has been named the captain of the ICC ODI Team of the Year, which also features Indian batsman Rohit Sharma and all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja.
- The team, announced as part of the ICC Awards on Thursday, also features South Africa's AB de Villiers for the sixth straight year.
- Kohli has been featured in the team for the third time.
Government launches Google Toilet Locator app
- Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu on Thursday launched the 'Google Toilet Locator' mobile application as part of the 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan' to help people locate the nearest toilet.
- As per reports, the toilet locator will have details on location of all toilets in Delhi-NCR and Madhya Pradesh for now, to be followed by other states soon.
Misbah-Ul-Haq wins ICC Spirit of Cricket Award
- Pakistan captain Misbah-Ul-Haq became the first Pakistani player to win the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award.
- The previous winners of the award include MS Dhoni (2011), Daniel Vettori (2012), Mahela Jayawardena (2013), Katherine Brunt (2014) and Brendon McCullum (2015).
- "I feel honoured and humbled to have won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award", said Misbah.
South Africa's de Kock named ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year
- South African wicketkeeper-batsman Quinton de Kock has been named the ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year. De Kock has scored a total of 857 runs in 17 ODIs this year, which also includes three centuries.
- He is also a part of the ICC ODI Team of the Year, after featuring earlier in it in 2014.
National Mathematics Day celebrated on December 22
- National Mathematics Day is celebrated on December 22, since 2012, after former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh made the declaration, to pay tribute to S Ramanujan and celebrate his birth anniversary.
- Ramanujan is known for his contributions to the theory of numbers and compiling over 3,000 mathematical results and equations.
- Notably, his 129th birth anniversary was observed on the day.
Argentina win FIFA Team of the Year title
- Argentina claimed the 'Team of the Year' title after finishing top of the FIFA rankings of the year with 1,634 points.
- Argentina's rivals Brazil ended the year in the second position with 1,544 points while World Champions Germany finished third with 1,433 points.
- Last year's winner Belgium ended the year in the fifth position with 1,368 points.
India's first Beer Mile festival to be held in Bengaluru
- Bengaluru will host India's first 'Beer Mile Run', wherein a participant will be required to drink a pint of beer, run a quarter mile, and then repeat the process until a mile is completed.
- Prizes to fastest runners in different categories will be awarded.
- The event, which is scheduled for January 15, 2017, will also offer food, music, and games.
Roger Federer named 2016's 'Most Stylish Man' by GQ
- Seventeen-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer was named the 'Most Stylish Man' of 2016 by GQ, a leading men's magazine.
- The magazine described Federer as "quietly elegant tennis pro who favours neutral suits and the occasional pop of colour on the court".
- Roger Federer beat Tim Hiddleston in the final round by more than 60% of fan votes.
American Tourister appoints Kohli as its brand ambassador
- Samsonite-owned American Tourister has appointed India's Test captain Virat Kohli as its brand ambassador.
- "Virat is a global youth icon and is the poster boy for all those who thrive on...ability to be ready for anything that life throws at them," Samsonite South Asia's COO said.
- Notably, Kohli is the first Indian brand ambassador of the global luggage brand.
China launches satellite to monitor global CO2 emissions
- China has launched atmospheric CO2-monitoring TanSat satellite in an effort to curb and monitor greenhouse gas emissions.
- The 635-kg satellite will measure global carbon dioxide levels every 16 days over the next three years and help policy makers and scientists gather independent climate change data.
- Notably, China is the world's largest emitter of CO2.
Jeje wins best footballer of the year award by AIFF
- Indian forward Jeje Lalpekhlua was named 2016's AIFF Player of the Year, an award given to the best footballer in the country.
- "It's the award which every Indian footballer looks forward to...I am thankful to all my coaches who put their faith on me," said Jeje
- The 25-year-old who hails from Mizoram will be awarded a prize of Rs. 2.5 lakh.
Trump picks Peter Navarro, 'Death by China' author, for trade advisory role
- US President-elect Donald Trump has picked Peter Navarro, economist and author of 'Death by China', to head the newly-formed White House National Trade Council.
- Navarro also made a film describing China as a threat to US economy and suggested a stepped-up engagement with Taiwan, defying 'one China' policy.
- Trump's team praised Navarro as a "visionary" who will expand US growth.
World's first solar road opens in France
- The world's first solar road made with 30,000 square feet of solar panels has been opened in the French village of Normandy.
- The one-kilometre long road took five years and cost $5.2 million to develop.
- It will be used for a two-year test period to check if it can generate enough energy to power street lighting in the village.
Google Completes The Target Of 100 WiFi Railway Stations, Newest One In Ooty
- Google, in collabration with Railtel rolled out free WiFi service at Udhagamandalam (Ooty) station in Tamil Nadu, taking to 100 the railway stations where it offers high speed internet to an estimated 10 million people.
- In January, Google launched its first free WiFi services at Mumbai's Mumbai Central station.
- According to Google, over 10 million people who pass through these stations every day now have an access to fast Internet speed to stream (or offline) an HD video, research their destination or download a new book or game for the journey ahead.
Girija Vaidyanathan's appointment as new chief secretary of Tamil Nadu
- Girija Vaidyanathan, Additional Chief Secretary and Commissioner of Land Administration, has been appointed Chief Secretary of Tamil Nadu in place of P. Rama Mohana Rao
- Ms.Vaidyanathan will also hold full additional charge of Vigilance Commissioner and Commissioner for Administrative Reforms.
Sangita Kumari clinch bronze
- Sangita Kumari scored twice as India defeated Korea 3-0 to clinch the bronze in the fourth Women’s Under-18 Asia Cup hockey tournament
- Sangita scored in the 55th and 58th minutes after Ritu had put India ahead in the 45th minute in the bronze-medal play-off.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here