India beat Sri Lanka to clinch third straight U-19 Asia Cup
- The Indian Under-19 cricket team beat Sri Lanka by 34 runs to win the 2016 edition of the Youth Asia Cup, their third consecutive title win.
- Driven by 70s from Himanshu Rana and Shubman Gill, India posted 273/8 in 50 overs.
- In Sri Lanka's innings, Rahul Chahar's figures of 3/22 in 10 overs helped India clinch the title.
Install official GK Digest Android Application here
Kapil Sharma ranked 11th in Forbes India Celebrity 100 list
- Comedian Kapil Sharma has been ranked eleventh in the Celebrity 100 list of 2016 by Forbes India.
- He has been ranked seventh in terms of fame, beating the likes of Aamir Khan, Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra
- His total earnings were estimated to be Rs. 30.17 crore, which is higher than the earnings of a few Bollywood actors.
Sunny Leone to receive PETA's Person of the Year award
- Actress Sunny Leone will receive PETA's Person of the Year award for her dedication to promoting the rescue of homeless dogs and cats, as well as her compassion for animals abused and killed for their skin.
- "Sunny Leone's kindness proves she is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside," said Sachin Bangera of PETA.
Indian wins gold at Asian Luge Championships in Japan
- India's Shiva Keshavan won a gold medal at the Asian Luge Championships in Japan. This is his third gold in the tournament's history, with his tally including four silvers and two bronze medals since 2005.
- Keshavan, a five-time Winter Olympian, is India's only professional luge player and holds the Asian speed and time records in the sport.
Delhi named India's most well-read city of 2016 by Amazon
- Delhi has emerged as the country's most well-read city the fourth consecutive year with Bengaluru and Mumbai taking the second and third spot, according to Annual Reading Trends Report 2016 by Amazon.
- For the first time, Karnal, Vadodara and Patna made it to the top 20 cities, having bought more books than cities like Coimbatore, Visakhapatnam and Lucknow this year.
PM Narendra Modi Will Lay Foundation For Rs. 3,600 Crore Shivaji Memorial
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be on a day's visit to Maharashtra, where he will lay the foundation stone for the grand memorial of Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and the metro rail projects in Mumbai and Pune
- He will proceed to the site in the Arabian Sea off Mumbai coast, where the state government is planning to build a mega memorial for Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- The main feature of the Shivaji memorial, slated to cost Rs. 3,600 crore, will be a 192-metre-tall statue of the iconic Maratha king. The site is a rocky outcrop, roughly 1.5 km from the Raj Bhavan shore.
Sunam’s railway station to be named after martyr Udham Singh
- The Punjab government has finally notified the name of the railway station in Sunam town, Sangrur district, as Sunam Udham Singh Wala, just a couple of months ahead of the assembly elections.
- The town was changed from just Sunam to Sunam Udham Singh Wala in January 2006, but the state government had not taken up the matter of changing the railway station's name since then with the Centre.
Agra-Lucknow Expressway to open for commuters
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's ambitious new Agra-Lucknow Expressway, which was inaugurated in November, is open for commuters from Friday
- The 302-kilometre-long six-lane expressway, which is India's longest, is expected to considerably reduce the travel time between Lucknow and Delhi which usually takes 12 to 14 hours.
Salman Khan tops 2016 Forbes India Celebrity 100 List
- Salman Khan has replaced Shah Rukh Khan to rank in the top spot in Forbes India’s annual Celebrity 100 list. Shah Rukh Khan has ranked second in the list and Virat Kohli, who has had a dream year, ranked in third.
- The list is compiled based on two parameters: estimates of entertainment related earnings and estimates of fame. The period under consideration was 1 October 2015 to 30 September 2016
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here