Kohli named captain of Cricket Australia's ODI Team of 2016
- Cricket Australia has named Indian Test skipper Virat Kohli as the captain of the board's ODI Team of the Year.
- Indian pacer Jasprit Bumrah was the only other Indian who made it to the list.
- The team of the year, features five Australian players, two South African players and one each from England and Pakistan.
Install Official Gk Digest Android App Here
14-year-old to represent India in Shooting World Cups
- Fourteen-year-old double-trap shooter Shapath Bharadwaj became the first junior to qualify for the senior national team after finishing second in the selection trials held in Patiala.
- Shapath, who studies in class 9 and belongs to Meerut, will now be representing India in the Shooting World Cups, scheduled to be held in New Delhi, Mexico and Cyprus in 2017.
PM inaugurates Rs. 12k cr Char Dham highway project in U'khand
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the Char Dham Highway Development Project in Uttarakhand's Dehradun.
- The project aims to improve connectivity to the Char Dham pilgrimage centres of Gangotri, Yamunotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath.
- Around 900 km of national highways will be developed in Uttarakhand under the project at an approximate cost of Rs. 12,000 crore.
Salman Khan launches his app 'BeingInTouch' on 51st birthday
- Actor Salman Khan on Twitter announced the launch of his app, 'BeingInTouch', on the occasion of his 51st birthday.
- The app will provide access to Salman's social media accounts, along with his unseen pictures and videos.
- The app users can also avail discounts from various brands on the app. It is currently available for download on Google Play store.
Centre launches door-to-door screening for tuberculosis in 5 states
- To detect cases of latent infection, the government has launched a door-to-door screening campaign for tuberculosis (TB).
- The Union health ministry has started a campaign to find patients before they develop full-blown TB and put them on preventive treatment.
- The campaign has been launched in five Indian states, while the official launch will take place in January 2017.
- The states being covered in first phase-- Kerala, Bihar, Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim.
Delhi airport staff will have to carry Aadhaar card from Jan 1
- Employees at Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport will have to carry Aadhaar cards to work along with their entry pass from January 1.
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which is responsible for the security at the airport, has issued guidelines in this regard to improve the security arrangement at the airport.
Samit Gohel’s world record 359 not out in Ranji Trophy
- Samit Gohel amassed an unbeaten 359 in their Ranji Trophy quarterfinal tie against Odisha at Jaipur, bettering a 117-year world record for the highest score while carrying the bat in first-class cricket.
- The previous record was Bobby Abel’s 357* (in Surrey’s 811) against Somerset in English county cricket at The Oval in 1899.
IOA appoint Sulesh Kalmadi, Abhay Singh Chautala as life presidents
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has appointed Suresh Kalmadi and Abhay Singh Chautala as its life presidents.
- he IOA unanimously appointed the two tainted administrators, who were kept out of the federation due to a slew of corruption charges against them, to the post during its Annual General Meeting in Chennai
- A life president is an honorary post with no voting rights or involvement in day-to-day functioning of the body.
Haryana's DigiDhan Mela promotes cashless transactions
- As a part of the nationwide 100-day special campaign to promote digital and cashless transactions, the second 'DigiDhan Mela' was organised in Gurugram, Haryana.
- The state's Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar and celebrities, such as athlete Yogeshwar Dutt, and singer Shivani Kashyap inspired people to go for digital and cashless transactions.
- Khattar said that over 3,000 accounts were opened and about 7,000 were imparted training during the first 'DigiDhan Mela' in Haryana.
Bihar government approves of 50% quota in judicial services
- The Bihar government on Tuesday gave its nod for implementation of 50% reservation in both subordinate and superior judicial services in the state.
- This means that 50% quota would be implemented in appointment of both services conducted by the Bihar Public Service Commission (BPSC) to fill the posts of judicial magistrates and munsif magistrates and appointments conducted by the Patna high court to fill the posts of additional district and sessions judges.
China tests new jet fighter FC-31 Gyrfalcon prototype
- China has tested the latest version of its fifth-generation stealth fighter, state media reported Monday, as it tries to end the West's monopoly on the world's most advanced warplanes.
- The test comes as the nation flexes its military muscles, sending its sole aircraft carrier the Liaoning into the western Pacific in recent days to lead drills there for the first time+ .
- The newest version of the J-31 -- now renamed the FC-31 Gyrfalcon -- took to the air for the first time
- The new FC-31 has "better stealth capabilities, improved electronic equipment and a larger payload capacity" than the previous version+ which debuted in October 2012, the newspaper said, quoting aviation expert Wu Peixin.
Nitin Gadkari to inaugurate Sagarmala Development Company office
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated Sagarmala Development Company’s (SDC) office in New Delhi to promote port-led development in the country.
- The SDC has been incorporated under the Companies Act, 2013.
- The Cabinet in July had approved the formation of the SDC under the administrative control of the Ministry of Shipping.
- The company would help in structuring activities, bidding out projects for private sector participation, identifying suitable risk management measures for strategic projects across multiple states, regions and obtaining requisite approvals and clearances.
Gujarat government announces Biotechnology Policy
- Wth an aim to establish Gujarat as a preferred destination for manufacturing of biotechnology products, the state government today announced it's 'Biotechnology Policy-2016'.
- The policy has various incentives for investors who are keen to set up their units in the state.
- Under the policy, the state government would provide capital subsidy up to Rs 25 crore on the total investment for developing a Biotechnology (BT) Park, said Gujarat Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel while announcing the policy.
Rajasthani writer Satya Narayan chosen for Bihari Puraskar
- Eminent Rajasthani litterateur Satya Narayan has been chosen for the 26th Bihari Puraskar, 2016 for his Hindi book titled, "Yeh Ek Dunia", the K K Birla Foundation announced.
- Instituted in 1991 by the Foundation, the award which is named after famous Hindi poet Bihari, recognises outstanding work in Hindi or Rajasthani, published during the last ten years by a Rajasthani writer.
Ken-Betwa river linking project: Wildlife board panel gives nod for Phase I
- THE STANDING committee of the National Board for Wildlife (NBWL) cleared Phase-I of Ken-Betwa river link project in its first meeting with new Environment Minister Anil Madhav Dave as chairman.
- The minutes of the meeting held on August 23, was approved.
- The Rs 10,000-crore project requires diversion of 5,258 hectares of forest land, including 4,141 hectares of Panna Tiger Reserve.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here