Viral Acharya appointed as RBI Deputy Governor
- The government on Wednesday appointed Viral Acharya as the Deputy Governor of the RBI.
- He will be joining the ranks of NS Vishwanathan, SS Mundra, R Gandhi as one of four Deputy Governors under RBI Governor Urjit Patel. Acharya has been serving as a Professor of Economics at the New York University Stern School of Business since 2008.
Install Official GK Digest Android App Here
Former IAS officer Anil Baijal to succeed Jung as Delhi lieutenant governor
- Former Union home secretary Anil Baijal was on Wednesday appointed the new lieutenant governor of Delhi in place of Najeeb Jung who resigned recently.
- President Pranab Mukherjee, who is on a 10-day southern sojourn, gave his assent to the Centre's recommendation for acceptance of outgoing Jung's resignation and naming Baijal as his successor.
- Baijal, a 1969 batch IAS officer, was home secretary in 2004 when the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government was in office. His tenure was cut short by the UPA government, which, soon after taking over in May 2004, shunted him out.
Former World No 1 Tennis Player Ana Ivanovic announces retirement
- Former world No 1 Ana Ivanovic on Wednesday announced her retirement from tennis, admitting that the physical toll of the circuit had proved too much.
- The 29-year-old Serbian held the top spot for 12 weeks in 2008, the season when she claimed her sole Grand Slam success by winning the French Open.
- She announced at the time that she had taken the decision to stop playing until 2017 on medical advice over a recurring wrist injury, with a problematic toe also needing surgery.
China launches high-resolution remote sensing satellites
- China has successfully launched a pair of high-resolution remote sensing satellites to get commercial images.
- The satellites were launched Wednesday from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in Shanxi Province, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
- The satellites, SuperView-1 01/02, blasted off at 11:23 am Beijing time on the back of a Long March 2D rocket.
Ronaldo, Santos honoured at Globe Soccer Awards
- Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal's Euro 2016-winning coach Fernando Santos scooped the top prizes at the seventh edition of the Globe Soccer Awards in Dubai.
- Ronaldo claimed the best player award after helping his country land their first major title at this year's European Championship and firing Real to a record 11th European Cup triumph.
India eases visa process for Bangladeshis
- India has eased the process of procurement of Indian tourist visas for Bangladeshis by allowing those with confirmed travel tickets to submit their visa applications directly without prior appointment starting January 1, 2017.
- "The date of journey should be after 7 days but within one month of submission of the visa application form," said the Indian High Commission in Dhaka.
Ronaldo wins European Sportsperson of the Year award
- Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo has been voted the European Sportsperson of the Year by the Polish news agency PAP.
- The Real Madrid forward pipped British tennis player Andy Murray and Hungarian swimmer Katinka Hosszu.
- The 31-year-old forward helped Real Madrid lift their 11th Champions League title alongside leading Portugal to their maiden European Championship.
Harsh Vardhan inaugurates National Children's Science Congress
- Union Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the 24th National Children's Science Congress (NCSC) at Vidyapratisthan's Institute of Information Technology in Baramati.
- The Minister said the Centre would provide all necessary support to the growth of science and technology in the country.
Green Ganesha awards given out
- The ninth edition of Times Green Ganesha culminated with an awards ceremony in Mumbai.
- Minister of state (environment) Pravin Pote-Patil, Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB) member-secretary Anbalagan and MPCB PRO Sanjay Bhuskute presided over the awards and felicitated winners.
Mumbai's Tata Hospital records 100% cashless transactions
- Tata Memorial Centre Cancer Hospital, the country's best-known address for cancer care, has achieved 100% "cashless'' transactions by using exclusive hospital-specific pre-paid 'smartcard', said a press release from the ministry of health and family welfare.
- The hospital, which functions under the aegis of the department of atomic energy, allows patients to not only use the smart card to make cashless payments but even allows them to access their electronic medical records.
First Indian to get Aadhaar card & her village are truly 'cashless'
- Tembhli village in north Maharashtra became famous as India's first Aadhaar village before receding into the shadows.
- Tembhli, Ranjana's remote village in north Maharashtra, about 470km from Pune, briefly became famous as India's first Aadhaar village
- Congress-led govt had chosen Tembhli in Nandurbar district, north Maharashtra to launch the Aadhaar project.
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here