Selfie camera 'BeautyPlus Me' named top app by Google India
- Google India has named selfie editing and camera app 'BeautyPlus Me' as the most popular Android app of 2016 on Google Play.
- It was followed by media company Viacom 18's 'Voot TV Shows Movies Cartoons' content streaming app and Google's own video calling app 'Duo'.
- Fashion app 'Mr Voonik' and 'Tap Emoji Keyboard' rounded off 2016's top trending Android apps.
Download Official BankExamsToday Android ApplicationInstall GK Digest Android App here
Hornbill Festival begins in Nagaland
- The Hornbill Festival began on Thursday in the Naga Heritage village of Kisama, coinciding with Nagaland Statehood Day.
- The annual festival aims to promote tourism in the state and pays tribute to the Hornbill, revered by the Nagas.
- There are dances, sports, games, food fairs and crafts during the ten-day festivities.
National Stock Exchange CEO Chitra Ramkrishna quits
- Managing Director and CEO of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) Chitra Ramkrishna is stepping down from her post, citing personal reasons, India's biggest bourse said on Friday.
- Further, current NSE President J Ravichandran has been appointed interim CEO with immediate effect.
- This comes amid the stock exchange preparing to hit the market with its initial public offering (IPO).
'Deadpool' named most popular film of 2016 by Google
- The Ryan Reynolds starred superhero film 'Deadpool' emerged as the most popular film of 2016, according to Google Play's "Best of 2016" list.
- Space opera epic 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' came second, while animated film 'Zootopia' was ranked third.
- 'Captain America: Civil War' and 'Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice' completed the top five.
Google announces best Android apps of 2016
- Search engine giant Google has named face swapping Android app 'Face Changer 2' as the best app of 2016 on the Google Play platform,
- It is followed by selfie editing app 'Lumyer' and podcast radio music app 'Castbox'. Niantic's app
- 'Pokémon Go' has been named the best gaming app for the year.
Emirates launches world's shortest service on largest plane
- Emirates on Thursday launched the world's shortest scheduled service on an Airbus A380, flying it from Dubai to Doha within 80 minutes.
- The 378-kilometre route is the shortest on which an Airbus A380, the world's largest passenger aircraft, is used.
- The double-decker aircraft has 14 first class suites, 76 business class flat-bed seats and 429 economy class seats.
India's football federation wins Asian award
- The All-India Football Federation won the Asian Football Council's Developing Member Association of the Year Award in Abu Dhabi.
- The award is given on the basis of organisation of courses, seminars and competitions, grassroots, youth development and women's programmes and special projects
- In 2014, AIFF had earlier won the AFC President's Recognition Award for grassroots football.
Chandigarh launches ambulance service for animals
- The Animal Husbandry Department on Thursday launched an ambulance service for pets and small animals in Chandigarh.
- The ambulance, which is equipped with first aid and emergency medication, will transport sick and injured animals to nearby Government Veterinary Hospitals.
- "This... ambulance will operate at a nominal fare of ₹300 per to-and-fro trip", said an official statemen.
Twitter changes product head for third time in a year
- Microblogging platform Twitter has appointed Keith Coleman as head of its product team, the third executive to lead the division in less than a year.
- The company confirmed that it has acquired Coleman's consumer mobile app startup Yes.
- Twitter itself has been rumoured to be up for sale and reportedly hired bankers last month to field acquisition offers.
Maharashtra's Dhasai village becomes completely cashless
- Dhasai village in Maharashtra has become India's first cashless village starting December 1, as claimed by its residents.
- This comes in the light of PM Narendra Modi's demonetisation move.
- Point of Sale (PoS) machines were provided to around 100 traders by an NGO in collaboration with Bank of Baroda and villagers were informed about various features of the machines.
F1 world champion Nico Rosberg announces retirement
- Less than a week after winning the world championship at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg announced his retirement from Formula One with immediate effect.
- Rosberg's father Keke Rosberg had won the championship in 1982, and Nico Rosberg's F1 championship made him only the second son of a champion to take the title since 1950.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here