Flipkart founders Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal named ‘Asians of the Year’
- After Time Magazine put Flipkart Founders – Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal – on the list of 100 Most Influential People in the world, the Straits Times of Singapore has chosen them for the prestigious “2016 Asian of the Year” as part of a group called the “The Disruptors.”
- We accept this honor on behalf of all Indians,” Sachin Bansaland Binny Bansal said in a joint statement in Bengaluru.
Download exclusive notes on your mobileInstall GK Digest Android App here
Google launches personal safety app 'Trusted Contacts'
- Google has launched a new personal safety app called 'Trusted Contacts' that lets users share their location with trusted people in everyday situations and emergencies.
- The app works even without the internet or when a user is unable to reach the phone. The app can also automatically share the user's location when they do not respond within a reasonable timeframe.
PM Modi wins reader's poll for TIME's Person of the Year
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has won the reader's poll for the TIME's Person of the Year with 18% votes in his favour, beating Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Julian Assange, each with 7% votes. Modi also fared above personalities like Hillary Clinton and Mark Zuckerberg.
- However, the magazine's editors will declare the final Person of the Year on December 7.
'Pink' named Best Film at Star Screen Awards 2016
- Courtroom drama film 'Pink' was named the Best Film at the 22nd edition of annual film awards show Star Screen Awards.
- The film also won awards for Best Actor, Best Editing and Best Dialogue, bagging four awards in total. Meanwhile, Ram Madhvani won the Best Director award for his biographical film 'Neerja'.
Big B, Alia win best acting awards at Star Screen Awards
- Amitabh Bachchan was named Best Actor for courtroom drama film 'Pink' while Alia Bhatt won the Best Actress award for crime-drama 'Udta Punjab' at Star Screen Awards 2016.
- Sushant Singh Rajput won Best Actor Critics' Choice Award for biopic 'MS Dhoni: The Untold Story'.
- Meanwhile, Swara Bhaskar won Best Actress Critics' Choice Award for comedy drama film 'Nil Battey Sannata'.
Airtel names Sunil Taldar as CEO of DTH business
- Telecom major Bharti Airtel on Monday announced the appointment of Sunil Taldar as the Chief Executive Officer and Director for its DTH business.
- Taldar will take over Shashi Arora, who after serving for approximately five years as CEO, has moved as MD and CEO of Airtel Payments Bank.
- Notably, Airtel digital TV had 1.24 crore customers in quarter ended September.
Rekha gets Lifetime Achievement Award at Star Screen Awards
- Actress Rekha was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 22nd edition of Star Screen Awards on Sunday.
- Deepika Padukone presented the award to the veteran actress while Sonam Kapoor paid tribute to her and performed on her songs.
- Later, Rekha joined Sonam onstage and danced to her song 'Pardesia' from the 1979 film 'Mr. Natwarlal'.
Amazon launches global startup program 'Launchpad' in India
- E-commerce major Amazon on Monday launched its global startup program 'Launchpad' in India, an online portal featuring over 400 products from different startups including 25 Indian startups.
- The program will also help Indian startups to sell their products overseas. First started in 2015, Amazon Launchpad is now available in seven regions.
Beyoncé's 'Formation' best song of 2016: Time Magazine
- Singer Beyoncé's song 'Formation' has been named the 'best song' of 2016 by 'Time' magazine.
- The song's video also features a cameo of Beyoncé and Jay Z's daughter, Blue Ivy Carter.
- 'The Sound' by English rock band 'The 1975' and 'Not Above That' by American singer Dawn Richard were ranked second and third on the list respectively.
Alexander Van der Bellen elected Austrian President
- Independent candidate and pro-European Alexander Van der Bellen has won Austria's re-run presidential election with around 53.5% votes.
- Bellen won against anti-immigration and eurosceptic Norbert Hofer who conceded defeat saying he was "endlessly sad". Bellen had won an earlier election in May by a narrow margin after which it was declared void by the Constitutional Court due to irregularities.
Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa passes away: Apollo Hospitals
- The Apollo Hospitals in Chennai today announced the demise of state Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
- The AIADMK leader, aged 68 years, suffered a cardiac arrest on Sunday and was put on a life-support system at the Apollo Hospital in Chennai. Jayalalithaa, who was first appointed in 1991, was appointed the state's Chief Minister six times.
Samuel L Jackson to get Lifetime Achievement Award at DIFF
- Actor Samuel L Jackson will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) at the opening of the festival on December 7.
- The 67-year-old actor will be part of an interactive session with fans on December 9.
- He is known for his role as 'Ultimate Nick Fury' in Marvel films and for films like 'Pulp Fiction'.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here