Here we go with the next article on important persons and places for 10th Dec to 25th Dec. Share your feedback/ queries in comments section.
Persons in News
Antonio Guterres - New secretary general of UN
- The oath was administered to him by President, UNGA: Peter Thomson.
- He succeeds Ban Ki-moon.
- He has previously served as UN high commissioner for refugees.
- Remember this way - Antenna connects us to radio waves. Antonio will connect the world now.
2016 FIFA Ballon d'Or award goes to - Cristiano Ronaldo
- FIFA Ballon d'Or award is an annual award given by FIFA to best male player in previous year.
- Remember this way - d'Or award goes to Ronal 'do'.
World's most powerful people list of Forbes - PM Modi ranks 9th
- Putin tops the chart again.
- 2nd place goes to Trump and 3rd to Angela Merkel.
- Mark Zuckerberg stands right behind Mr Modi at 10th rank.
- Remember this way - Year 2016 - sum of digits is 9. Hence, Modi stands at 9th. (Mitron, hum rule follow karenge!)
New Chief of Intelligence Bureau - Rajiv Jain
- IB is India's internal intelligence agency.
- Remember this way - Ab IB ke sare raaz, raaz hi rahenge kyonki Rajiv aa gya hai.
Next air chief of Indian Air Force - Birender Singh Dhanoa (BS Dhanoa)
- He was the vice chief of AIF before this appointment.
- Remember this way - BS Dhanoa will rule the Blue Sky(BS) of India now.
Renowned Tamil Poet & Philosopher's saint Thiruvalluvar's Statue unveiled in Haridwar
- He is the author of the book 'Tirukkural' which is a work on Ethics.
- His other statues are in Kanyakumari and London.
- Remember this way - Mug it up and question yourself -why a Tamil's poet statue in Haridwar?
New Chief of Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) - Anil Dhasmana
- RAW is the primary foreign intelligence agency of India under direct command of Prime Minister.
- Remember this way - धासू 'Dhasmana' heads RAW, धव्सत honge sab!
2016 SASTRA- Ramanujan award goes to Kaisa Matomaki, Maksym Radziwill
- Its an annual award established by SASTRA university in 2005, given to young mathematicians.
- December 22 is observed as National Mathematics Day.
- Remember this way - Both the awardees have M in their name. Relate it with Mathematics.
2016 Jnanpith award goes to - Bengali Poet Shankha Ghosh
- Jnanpith award is India's highest literary honor
- Remember this way - Bengal is famous for writers and football anyway and Ghosh are usually Bengali.
Miss world 2016 - Stephanie Del Valle
- Miss Puerto Rico (country), Stephanie Del Valle was crowned Miss world at 66th edition of the event held in USA.
- Remember the movie: Del valle Dulhaniya le jayenge!
Places in News
India's first amphibious bus project launched by Punjab Govt
- Launched at Harike wetland, near Amritsar.
- Remember this way - Punjab is otherwise known as land of 5 rivers. So Punjab takes the lead in showing how to drive in water.
World's longest rail tunnel, Gotthard Base Tunnel, starts service in Switzerland
- GBT is world's longest and deepest railway tunnel with a length of 57 kms.
- It travels through Alps mountain range.
- Remember this way -Switzerland got it hard- GottHard Tunnel!
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil accorded UNESCO world heritage status
- Rio had hosted 2016 summer olympics and 2014 FIFA world cup.
- It has been awarded this status due to its extraordinary fusion of man made and natural beauty, rainforests and beaches.
India's 1st 2G Ethanol Bio-Refinery to be set up in Bathinda, Punjab
- HPCL is setting up this project at the cost of Rs 600 crores.
- 2nd gen ethanol can be prepared from woody crops, biomass, agricultural residue.
- Remember this way - Punjab tops in agriculture so raw material required will be in plenty over there.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here