Hope your preparations are going well. We are starting with a series of articles on persons and places in news as direct questions related to that are generally asked in various bank and other examinations.
We will cover that weekly/biweekly. Just so it gets easy for you to remember the names, crude associations would be provided alongside wherever they can be. You may make your own associations as well. Don't hesitate to share your feedback for any improvements!
Persons in News
John Glenn, 1st American to orbit Earth, passes away
- Missions he was a part of - Mercury 7, Friendship 7 (7 seemed his lucky no.)
- Awards - US astronaut hall of fame, NASA distinguished service medal, Presidential medal of freedom
- Remember this way - Glenn after having Glennfiddich whiskey used to feel like he is flying in space.
2016 World chess champion title goes to Magnus Carlsen
- Magnus Carlsen is a chess grandmaster from Norway, became one at the age of 13.
- He became world champion in 2013 after defeating our very own Viswanathan Anand.
- He also has the credentials of being youngest chess player in history to be ranked No. 1.
- Remember this way - C for chess, C for Carlsen.
Additional charge as Director of CBI given to Rakesh Asthana
- Credentials - IPS officer of Gujrat Cadre, headed the SIT which probed Godhra train incident.
- Remember this way - Dr. Asthana from Munnabhai MBBS, remember! Another Asthana will direct CBI now.
Kehkashan Basu, UAE based Indian, wins 2016 International Children's Peace prize
- She is the founder of Green Hope, an environmental organization.
- She had brought together children to collect, recycle waste and plant trees.
- Remember this way - KB from her name moulds into Kishore Balak hence the Children's peace prize.
IAAF world athlete of the 2016 year award goes to Usain Bolt
- He won 3 gold medals at Rio Olympics (100m, 200m, 4*100m relay), basically repeated what he did at Beijing in 2008 and London in 2012.
- Remember this way - any international annual athletic award in an Olympic year - just tick Mr. BOLT.
O Panneerselvam sworn in as CM of Tamilnadu
- He took the charge after the revered Amma of TN passed away.
- Remember this way - OP of 'O Panneerselvam' comes after JL of Jayalalitha in A-Z of english (speak and check).
B R Ambedkar's birth anniversary (14 april) to be observed as Water Day in India
- Besides framing our constitution, he played an instrumental role in formulation of an all india policy on managing water resources and Damodar valley and Hirakud projects.
- Remember this way - Govt is smart enough to celebrate water day in April itself before the actual summer starts and people start wasting water.
Justice J S Khehar appointed as 44th Chief justice of India
- He will succeed T S Thakur who retires on Jan 3, 2017.
- He has practiced mainly in Punjab & Haryana high court, Himachal high court and supreme court.
- Remember this way - Ab Khehar sa'ab कहर मचाएगें supreme court mein!
Cho S Ramaswamy, a renowned journalist passes away
- Passed away in Chennai following a prolonged illness.
- He was also a lawyer, commentator and an actor. He has acted in south indian films along with Jayalalitha, Rajanikanth and Kamal Hassan.
- Remember this way - Jayalalitha died and her co-star Cho S Ramaswamy didn't feel like living more. They will catch up in heaven for sure!
Places in News
Pune metro rail project (phase-1) approved by Union Cabinet
- 2nd place in Maharashtra after Mumbai to have metro.
- Will be implemented by MAHA-METRO, 50:50 jointly owned company by Union govt and MH govt.
Hailakandi in Assam becomes first district to pay cashless wages to tea garden workers
- Payment was made through Assam Gramin Vikash Bank.
- Remember this way - हाएलाकादीं mein tea workers ki hui चादीं!
Download last 6 months GK Digest here
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here