Guided rocket Pinaka Mark-II test fired successfully
- Pinaka rocket, which has now transformed into guided Pinaka, was successfully test fired from a defence test facility off Odisha coast
- The guided Pinaka has been combinedly developed by Pune-based Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Hyderabad-based Research Centre Imarat (RCI) and Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL).
- Pinaka Rocket Mark-II, which has evolved from Pinaka Mark-I, is equipped with navigation, guidance and control kit and is converted to a guided Pinaka. This conversion has facilitated enhancement of its strike range and considerably improved its accuracy
Install Official GK Digest Android Application here
Kerala's first solar-powered boat launched
- Chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan has said that the government has taken up the development of water transport in the state with utmost seriousness.
- He was speaking after inaugurating the first solar-powered boat of the state water transport department, 'Aditya' at Vaikom.
- The boat will do service between Vaikom and Thavanakkadavu.
- The construction of the Rs 1.50-crore boat took nearly two years. The boat has a seating capacity of 75. The boat was manufactured based on the studies conducted at the ship technology department of the Cochin University of Science and Technology (Cusat).
India reach their best FIFA ranking in over a decade
- The Indian national football team moved up six places to the 129th position in the latest FIFA rankings, its best ranking since December 2005, when it was at the 127th position.
- Notably, the Indian team has won nine of its last 11 matches, which has helped it jump 42 places in less than two years.
NTPC to take over Rajasthan’s Chhabra power plant
- The Rajasthan government on Wednesday night said that it has agreed to transfer its 1,000 megawatt (MW) Chhabra thermal power plant to NTPC Ltd, a central government power utility, in an asset-for-equity deal.
- AES India, Adani Power, Tata Power-ICICI were in race for acquiring the Rajasthan power project
- The deal was given effect through a tripartite agreement among NTPC, Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd (RVUN), the state government’s power generation utility, and power trading firm Rajasthan Urja Vikas Nigam Ltd (RUVNL) in the presence of chief minister Vasundhara Raje in Jaipur.
Airtel Payments Bank to Get Rs. 3,000 Crores Investment from Bharti Airtel
- Bharti Airtel Ltd, India's top wireless carrier, has committed an initial investment of Rs. 3,000 crores ($441 million) to build its new pan-India Airtel Payments Bank.
- Airtel Payments Bank is the first among several such niche banks to start operations, after the central bank handed over new permits to bring financial services within the reach of millions who still lack access to formal banking. Private-sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank owns a minority stake in Airtel Payments Bank.
- Payments banks can take deposits and remittances but are not allowed to lend. This new set of banks is expected to increase competition in the sector by offering higher interest rates on deposits.
46 UP constituencies to have Urdu electoral rolls
- For the first time, electoral rolls in as many as 46 assembly constituencies spread across 22 districts in UP would be printed in Urdu as well. In Uttar Pradesh, the voters' list is generally prepared in Hindi.
- According to the official website of the chief electoral officer of UP, among the 46 assembly constituencies, three are reserved for scheduled castes.
- These are Nagina and Nehtaur in Bijnor district and Chandausi in Sambhal district. In Lucknow, voters in Lucknow Central and Lucknow West would find their names appearing in Urdu.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here