62nd Filmfare Awards 2017: Shatrughan Sinha honoured with the Lifetime Achievement
- Shatrughan Sinha,who completed close to five decades in the film industry, was presented the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 62nd Jio Filmfare Awards 2017
- Shatrugan Sinha thanked everyone on stage for the award. He said, "I've received my first Filmfare today.
- It's late in my career, but if you have the passion and determination, nothing can stop you from achieving what you want.
Install GK Digest Android App here
Sena Medal for braveheart who survived 6 days under snow
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad, who survived miraculously for six days under a huge ice-and-snow debris after an avalanche hit his post before losing life to multiple organ failure, was awarded the Sena Medal.
- Dubbed as the 'miracle man', the soldier had managed to stay alive for six days in minus 45 degrees Celsius temperature
Virat Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar's record for most centuries in successful chases
- Team India's skipper and batting masterclass Virat Kohli on Sunday (Jan 15) surpassed Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar's yet another milestone.
- Kohli, batting for the first time as a full-time skipper, scored 122 off 108 deliveries against England in the first ODI at Pune and powered India to a historic win
- After slamming his 17th ODI hundred during the run chase, Kohli - the Run Machine - also equalled Tendulkar's record of most ODI centuries, batting second.
- He also broke Tendulkar's record in bringing up most successful centuries while chasing. Kohli slammed a record 15th ODI century in successful chases and surpassed Tendulkar's previous record of 14 tonnes, which transformed into a win.
India, US sign MoU for collaboration in third world countries
- India and the US have signed an MoU to collaborate in the fields of developmental activities and aid in third world countries.
- The MoU has been signed between the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), and Development Partnership Administration (DPA) of the Ministry of External Affairs of India.
- MCC is a US agency providing eligible countries with grants to fund country-led solutions for reducing poverty through sustainable economic growth. DPA looks after implementation of India’s development cooperation programmes with partner countries.
- The two countries would collaborate on exchange of information and experience in sectors or issues pertaining to project development or implementation in partner countries.
- India and US might also provide advisory or technical assistance to third countries regarding sector policy reform, project and sector management, project implementation, and economic growth promotion strategies in relevant sectors.
Simbu, Kitur win Mumbai Marathon
- Tanzania's Alphonce Simbu won the men's elite full marathon event while Kenya's Bornes Kitur bagged the women's title at the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon on Sunday.
- Simbu clocked two hours, nine minutes and 32 seconds to clinch the gold medal. Kenya's Joshua Kirkorir took the second spot with a time of 2:09:50 in a tough competition.
- Kirkorir's compatriot Eliud Barbgetuny came third as he completed the distance in 2:10:39.
A new mobile app for tourists by Tamil Nadu Tourism Department
- For the benefit of both domestic and international tourists, Tamil Nadu Tourism Department has launched a mobile app ‘pinakin’ with information on tourism in Tamil Nadu with audio facilities.
- The app, in two languages — Tamil and English — covers world heritage tourist sites like Mamallapuram, Thanjavur Big Temple, Gangaikonda Cholapuram and Darasuram. The app can be downloaded free of cost from iStore or Playstore.
App named 'SEZ India' launched by Commerce Ministry
- A Mobile app named SEZ India has been launched by the Commerce Secretary on 06 January 2017.
- SEZ Division, Department of Commerce under its broader e-Governance initiative i.e. SEZ Online System, has developed mobile app for Special Economic Zones (SEZs)
- App would help the SEZ Units and Developers to find information easily and track their transactions on SEZ Online System.
- Now the SEZ Developers & Units can file all their transactions digitally through SEZ Online system and track the status on the go through the SEZ India mobile app
BSNL launches “Sanchar Aadhar” for Aadhar based eKYC and digital customer engagement
- BSNL the national carrier, having the largest network across India with highest rural penetration recognizes the need to deliver consistent and personalized digital engagement to their customers.
- BSNL has launched its prestigious Customer Acquisition and Customer Communication Management (CACMS) project that digitalizes mission critical, customer centric business process to provide compelling customer experience across all channels throughout the customer lifecycle.
NPCI declares Rs 54.90 crore prize money for NITI Aayog's lucky draw schemes
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) declared Rs 54.90 crore prize money to over 3.42 lakh winners for NITI Aayog's lucky draw schemes for consumers and merchants.
- The two schemes are - Lucky Grahak Yojna (LGY) and Digi-Dhan Vyapar Yojna (DVY).
- They were launched on December 25 last year and shall remain open till April 14, 2017.
- Schemes are aimed at incentivising both consumers and merchants to promote digital payments.
Prasar Bharti hosts International Television Dance Festival in Hyderabad
- Prasar Bharti hosts International Television Dance Festival in Hyderabad
- The first edition of Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) International Television Dance Festival is scheduled to be held in Hyderabad; the city with royal patronage for arts, literature and architecture, on January 15. Prasar Bharati is hosting the event. The Dance Festival is conceptualised so as to bring the cultural diversities from across the world into limelight, by breaking cultural barriers.
- The festival will showcase dancers from various countries which include Maldives, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Philippines, Fiji, Azerbaijan, Malaysia, India and Indonesia. The finalists from each country will participate in the grand finale of the first (ABU) International Television Dance Festival. All the participants are between the age group of 18-25 years.
- The festival’s objective is to create a “bridge” between young people from different parts of the world through dance
BSF launches operation 'Sard Hawa' at Rajasthan border
- Border Security Force (BSF) launched operation 'Sard Hawa' at the western international border of Rajasthan, under which vigil will be beefed-up to check the instances of infilteration due to the dense fog in the area.
- The operation will continue till January 28.
- "The purpose of the operation is to keep a hawk's eye on the international border, where vigil has been beefed-up and officers have also been asked to be part of operation to motivate jawans
Madhya Pradesh Launches Digital Dakiya Scheme For Digital Literacy
- Madhya Pradesh government inaugurated a first of its kind scheme of the country, “Digital Dakiya” in Indore on January 14, 2017 to encourage cashless transaction in the state.
- Under the scheme, a Digital Postman referred as Digital Dakiya would visit door to door in both urban and rural areas to train households specially women and elderly people about digitized transactions.
- The scheme was inaugurated by the State Finance Minister Jayant Malliya. State government will provide Identity cards to the volunteers deployed in this programme.
RBI Grade B Online Classes by Ramandeep Singh - Join here