Reserve Bank of India raises daily withdrawal limit from ATMs to Rs 10,000
- The Reserve Bank of India on Monday more than doubled the daily withdrawal limit from automated teller machines (ATMs) to Rs 10,000 but retained the weekly ceiling at Rs 24,000 with the supply of more five hundred notes.
- RBI has increased the limit on withdrawal from current accounts from the existing limit of Rs 50,000 per week to Rs 1,00,000 per week. This hike will be applicable to overdraft and cash credit accounts.
Install GK Digest Android App here
January 16: Religious Freedom Day
- Urging his countrymen to stand against religious intolerance, US President Barack Obama has proclaimed January 16 as Religious Freedom Day in accordance with a yearly tradition.
- Each year, by Presidential Proclamation, January 16 is declared Religious Freedom Day in the US. Obama urged the country’s citizens to reject politics that seeks to target people because of their religion
IMF cuts India’s GDP growth forecast to 6.6% on note ban woes
- The International Monetary Fund on Monday cut India’s growth forecast for the current fiscal to 6.6% from its previous estimate of 7.6%.
- The cut is a consequence of the currency crunch following the demonetisation decision, said the IMF.
- The cut in India’s growth rates comes days after the World Bank decelerated India’s GDP growth for 2016-17 to 7% from 7.6%.
Indian Women Boxers Shine At Nations Cup In Serbia; Win Six Medals
- It’s all Dangal with the Indian Women’s boxing team as they went on to finish 3rd in the 6th Nations Cup in the Serbian city of Vrbas.
- India finished 3rd just after Kazakhstan and Russia in the elite category wherein the tournament also featured School Girl, Junior and Youth Division competition.
- The medal tally for India stands at one gold, four silver and four bronze.
- The solo gold for India goes to Neeraj of Haryana.
- This exceptional talent acquired the gold by defeating the top-seeded Jaina Shekerbekova of Kazakhstan.
- Surprisingly this is Neeraj’s first International appearance.
- The four silvers were acquired by Sarjubala Devi (48 Kg), Priyanka Chowdhary(60kg), Pooja(69 Kg). They lost to Russia’s Yulia Chumgalakova, Kazakhstan’s Rimma Volosenko, Valentina Khalzova respectively in their bouts.
Rajeev Singh to take charge as interim CEO of Prasar Bharti
- Rajeev Singh, Member (Finance) in Prasar Bharati Board, will take charge as interim CEO of the public broadcaster after S C Panda retires in February.
- The previous CEO Jawhar Sircar had quit in October last year, a few months before his tenure was due to end, following which Panda, who is Member (Personnel), was made the acting CEO. However, Panda is also due to retire in February.
- The issue of vacancies arising due to Panda’s retirement was discussed in a meeting headed by Prasar Bharati chairman A Surya Prakash in Hyderabad yesterday, sources said. “In a key decision, the public broadcaster decided that its Member Finance Rajeev Singh will take over as interim CEO, after the present incumbent S C Panda retires in February
India Signs Financing Agreement with World Bank for US$ 48 Million for Nagaland Health Project
- A financing agreement for IDA credit of US$ 48 million (equivalent) for the ‘Nagaland Health Project’ was signed with the World Bank .
- The Financing Agreement was signed by Mr. Raj Kumar, Joint Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs on behalf of Government of India and Mrs. Genevieve Connors, Acting Country Director, World Bank (India) on behalf of the World Bank.
- A Project Agreement was also signed by Dr. L. Watikala, Principal Director, Directorate of Health & Family Welfare, Government of Nagaland and Ms. Genevieve Connors, Acting Country Director, World Bank.
- The Objectives of the project are to improve health services and increase their utilization by communities in targeted locations in Nagaland.
Kiran Doshi wins 'The Hindu Prize 2016'
- Kiran Doshi, a retired diplomat and educationist from Gujarat, won The Hindu Prize 2016 for his third major work of fiction, Jinnah Often Came to Our House, a book set against the political turmoil of the subcontinent from the early part of the 20th century, ending with the Partition and Independence.
- Mr. Doshi was among the five authors shortlisted from nearly 60 entries for the seventh edition of the prize. The shortlisted works included Anil Menon’s Half Of What I Say, Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar’s The Adivasi Will Not Dance, Kunal Basu’s Kalkatta and Manjula Padmanabhan’s The Island of Lost Girls.
Central & SBI Card launch premium co-branded card
- Future Group's fashion and lifestyle departmental store Central and SBI Card announced the launch of a co-branded credit card, to offer benefits to consumers in the premium lifestyle and fashion space.
- The Central SBI co-brand Card is the second by SBI Card and Future Group, after fbb SBI StyleUp Card introduced earlier in partnership with Big Bazaar and targeted at the value conscious consumer looking for affordable fashion.
- The Central SBI SELECT and SELECT+ Cards offer an accelerated reward points structure, where cardholders earn 20 reward points for every Rs 100 spent in Central stores.
India slips 3 places to 92nd rank on global talent competitiveness
- India has slipped 3 places to 92nd rank on the global index of talent competitiveness that measures how countries grow, attract and retain talent, a list topped by Switzerland.
- India's ranking is worst among the five BRICS countries. While China was ranked at the 54th place, Russian Federation was placed at 56th, followed by South Africa at 67th and Brazil 81st.
- Switzerland topped the overall index, followed by Singapore and the United Kingdom in second and third places respectively
- List was released by INSEAD Produced in partnership with The Adecco Group and the Human Capital Leadership Institute of Singapore (HCLI).
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here