INTRODUCTIONDigi Locker is nothing but a ‘digital locker’ that was launched by the government of India in February 2015.The main idea behind the scheme is to provide a secure storage of documents in digital form.It is one of the key initiatives of “digital India” campaign.It is also aimed to minimise the usage of the documents in physical form in which handling risks are involved.
WORKING OF SCHEMEIt will be helpful in sharing the e-documents through the registered repositories, in order to ensure the authenticity of the documents online.This scheme allows the citizens to upload their own documents and digitally sign them using aadhar based e-sign facility.One can easily share to other entities or organisations using their aadhar enabled “Digi locker” accounts.Some of the examples of such digitally uploaded documents are income tax returns file, university degree certificates, etc.
ELEMENTS INVOLVEDMy certificates (in dashboard of customers account) futher divided into two
Digital documents: It contains the URL’S of the documents issued by the government agncies or any other entities.
Uploaded documents: It contains all the documents uploaded by the user,each not exceeding 10mb of space.
Issuer: an entity which issues the documents in original format and converting them to electronic format.
Requester: an entity who requests for a secure access to particular e-documents.
Repository: a collection of e-documents.
USAGECurrently, the beta version(trial version) has been launched in which more than 2.5 lakh of people registered and have uploaded more than 1.8 lakh of documents electronically through their aadhar enabled accounts.
- The Digi locker will gradually bring down the cost incurred in providing services by the government.
- It will also bring down the staffing requirements involved.
- Helps in saving the time as well as safe and secure, thereby reducing the fraudulent and middlemen.
- Since these e-documents are digitally signed using aadhar based facility one cannot cheat/forge the documents.
- A “ Digi locker” account holder can access his/her e-documents anywhere at anytime.
- 256 bit SSL encryption.
- Mobile authentication based sign up facility.
- Documents are hosted by ISO 27001 certified data centre.
- Timed log out is provided to secure the customers account from unauthorised access.
CONCLUSIONOne of the great step towards the ‘digital India’ by saving the time, cost and various other risks involved in physical transactions of the documents. In the forthcoming years the scheme would be of great success.
Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here