PIECE & PEACE
Meaning: A portion of an object or of material, produced by cutting, tearing, or breaking the whole.
Example: Please give me a piece of cheese.
Meaning: Freedom from disturbance; tranquility
Example: I just want peace of mind.
PROFIT & PROPHET
Meaning: A financial gain
Meaning: An inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God
Example: They all believe in God and His angels, His scriptures, and His Prophets.
AISLE & ISLE
Meaning: A passage between rows of seats
Example: Aisle space would be increased in the theatre.
Meaning: An island or peninsula, especially a small one
Example: These gentle people consider the tiny isle their home.
ACCEPT & EXCEPT
Meaning: Consent to receive or undertake
Example: She accepted a pen as a present.
Meaning: Not including; other than
Example they work every day except Sunday.
ALTER & ALTAR
Meaning: Change in character or composition
Example: They are allowed to alter the passage.
Meaning: The table in a Christian church at which the bread and wine are consecrated in communion services.
Example: He spent lot of time in the church admiring altar and beautiful ceiling.
ADDITION & EDITION
Meaning: Adding something
Example: The town is looking beautiful with addition of more lights.
Meaning: A particular form or version of a published text
Example: It is a paperback edition.
BIRTH & BERTH
Meaning: The emergence of a baby or other young from the body of its mother
Example: She is blind from birth.
Meaning: A fixed bunk on a ship, train, or other means of transport
Example: I was given an upper berth for sleeping.
BORN & BORNE
Meaning: Existing as a result of birth
Example: She was born in Australia
Meaning: past participle of bear
Example: The sadness she felt was borne of fear.
BOLE & BOWL
Meaning: The trunk of a tree.
Example: Bees often nest in boles of trees
Meaning: A round, deep dish or basin used for food or liquid
Example: Where is a mixing bowl?
BITE & BYTE
Meaning: Use the teeth to cut
Example: The remedy is useful in case of a snake bite.
Meaning: A group of binary digits or bits (usually eight) operated on as a unit
Example: There are eight bits in a byte, and 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte.
Test Your Memory
- I want a ……. Of cake. (Piece/Peace)
- He wanted to enjoy his meal in …….(Piece/peace)
- ……. will be divided between shareholders. (Profit/Prophet)
- They feel that it is in reality the faith taught by the ancient ……… (Profit/Prophet)
- His performance had the audience dancing in the…… (Aisle/isle)
- The house is in very good location overlooking…….(Aisle/isle)
- She would ……. their offer. (Accept/except)
- All are going to the party …..… me. (Accept/except)
- They have plans to …… the dining hall. (Alter/altar)
- The church had beautiful……. (Alter/altar)
- The hotel would be expanded with …….. of more rooms. (Addition/edition)
- The required information will be published in our next …….. (Addition/edition)
- He had lived with her single mother from …….. (Birth/berth)
- I will sleep in the upper ….. (Birth/berth)
- A newly ….. baby. (Born/borne)
- He had …… all the sacrifices. (Born/borne)
- Many larger trees showed cankered … (Bole/bowl)
- Please pass me a …. of rice. (Bole/bowl)
- Don’t ….. your nails. (Bite/byte)
- Eight bits make up a ……. (Bite/byte)
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here