ALLUSION & ILLUSION
AllusionMeaning: An expression used to call something to mind without mentioning it clearly or directly
Example: This is an allusion to Shakespeare.
Illusion:Meaning: A misleading appearance or impression
Example: Visuals support the illusion that he is trying to create.
ALLOWED & ALOUD
AllowedMeaning: Let (someone) have or do something
Example: He is allowed to leave the country.
AloudMeaning: Audibly; not silently or in a whisper; loudly
Example: She read the letter aloud.
BOARD & BORED
BoardMeaning: A group of people constituted as the decision-making body of an organization
Example: She sits on the board of directors.
BoredMeaning: Lacking interest in one's current activity
Example: She was getting bored in the seminar.
BERRY & BURY
BerryMeaning: A small roundish juicy fruit
Example: She is mixing the peaches and berries.
BuryMeaning: Put or hide underground
Example: He buried the box in the garden.
BREAK & BRAKE
BreakMeaning: Separate into pieces
Example: Windows in the street were broken.
BrakeMeaning: A device for slowing or stopping a moving vehicle.
Example: Brakes of the car are not working.
HERE & HEAR
HereMeaning: In, at, or to this place or position
Example: They were living here last year.
HearMeaning: To perceive by ear
Example: She just doesn't hear what I'm telling her.
CENT & SCENT
CentMeaning: A monetary unit in various countries
Example: He gets 45 cents per hour.
ScentMeaning: A distinctive smell, especially one that is pleasant
Example: He sprayed scent over his body.
DOE & DOUGH
DoeMeaning: A female hare, rabbit, rat, ferret, or kangaroo
Example: I could tell the deer was a doe.
DoughMeaning: A thick, malleable mixture of flour and liquid, used for baking into bread or pastry
Example: Add water to the flour and mix to manageable dough.
DISCREET & DISCRETE
DiscreetMeaning: Careful in one's speech or actions to keep something confidential or to avoid embarrassment
Example: They made some discreet inquiries.
DiscreteMeaning: Individually separate and distinct
Example: Trees divide the site into a series of discrete landscapes.
DUAL & DUEL
DualMeaning: Consisting of two parts, elements, or aspects
Example: He wants to project the dual role.
DuelMeaning: A contest between two parties
Example: We entertained ourselves with tug-of-war duels.
Test Your Memory
- The recording was full of contemporary and historical…….(allusion/illusion)
- All my …… of a perfect family had been shattered. (allusion/illusion)
- She is not …… to drive alone. (allowed/aloud)
- He was reading…….(allowed/aloud)
- We were …… in the lecture.(board/bored)
- A …… meeting is going on. (board/bored)
- …… are good for health. (Berry/bury)
- They found the …… treasure. (Berry/bury)
- The machine has …… and they can't fix it until next week. (Break/brake)
- He applied both …… with even pressure. (Break/brake)
- He will be …… within ten days. (here/hear)
- I know the difference between listening and……. (here/hear)
- She saves every…… . (Scent/cent)
- This perfume has a pleasant……. (Scent/cent)
- The …… is doing well under the observation of a veterinary officer. (Doe/dough)
- If …… sticks, add a little more flour. (Doe/dough)
- A lot of their work is carried out in a very …… manner. (Discrete/discreet)
- Speech sounds are continuous sound signals rather than …… units. (Discrete/discreet)
- He has …… nationality. (Duel/dual)
- He entered into a verbal …… with his officer. (Duel/dual)
SBI PO Smart Prep Kit by Ramandeep Singh - Get here