Current Affairs for 20 February 2016

Published on Saturday, February 20, 2016

US writer Harper Lee passes away 

  • US writer Harper Lee passed away in Monroeville, Alabama, US at the age of 89. She had authored a novel ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ released in 1960.

 Christine Lagarde appointed as MD of IMF for a second term 

  • Christine Lagarde (60) from France has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of the International Monetary Fund for a second five-year term.

 Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd & Idea Cellular join hands for payments bank

  • Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd (ABNL) today announced formation of a joint venture with group firm Idea Cellular to set up a payments bank. ABNL will hold 51 per cent shares and the rest 49 per cent by Idea Cellular, it added.
==>> Install GK Digest Android App here

 One-Test wonder Andy Ganteaume dies aged 95 

  • Andy Ganteaume, the former West Indies and Trinidad & Tobago wicketkeeper-batsman, has died at the age of 95. He was West Indies’ oldest living Test cricketer, and the world’s second oldest, behind South Africa’s Lindsay Tuckett. 

Amit Mitra appointed as chairman of GST committee 

  • West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra has been appointed as the new chairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Goods and Services Tax (GST).

BHEL commissions 270MW unit of Punjab power plant 

  • State-run equipment maker Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) has commissioned a 270MW generation unit at the Goindwal Sahib Thermal Power Project of private producer GVK Power & Infra in Punjab.

Robin Chaurasiya nominated for ‘Global Teacher Prize’ 

  • Robin Chaurasiya from Mumbai who founded the NGO Kranti, has been short-listed as one of the top-10 finalists for this year’s Global Teacher Prize – the Nobel Prize of teaching.

Indian economy to grow robustly at 7.4% next fiscal: OECD 

  • According to the Paris-based think tank OECD, Indian economy will continue to see robust growth at 7.4 per cent in the next financial year.

Can I help you?

ramandeep singh

Hey I am Ramandeep Singh. I am determined to help students preparing for RBI, SEBI, NABARD and IBPS exams. Do you want me to help you ?

Join my class here
    Follow me:
Close Menu
Close Menu