Rafael Nadal wins 9th Barcelona Open 2016
Ace tennis Player Rafael Nadal from Spain beat the defending champion, Kei Nishikori (6-4, 7-5) to win the Barcelona Open Tennis 2016 for the ninth time.
- With this victory, Nadal has equalled Guillermo Vilas’ (Argentina) decade’s old record of 49 clay-court titles.
- Rafael Nadal has won 14 Grand Slam singles titles, 28 titles in ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events and 16 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments.
Download Exclusive Notes on AppInstall GK Digest Android App here
25 April: World Malaria Day
- The World Malaria Day was established by the 60th session of the World Health Assembly, a decision-making body of World Health Organization (WHO) in May 2007.
24 April: National Panchayati Raj Diwas
Every year April 24 is being observed as National Panchayati Raj (PR) Diwas across India.
- On the occasion of National Panchayati Raj Diwas, PM Narendra Modi has addressed the Panchayat across the country from Jamshedpur (Jharkhand).
- Panchayat Raj system was first adopted by the state of Rajsthan in Nagaur district on 2nd Oct 1959
Mouamba Clement appointed as Prime Minister of Congo
Former Congolese Finance Minister Mouamba Clement has been appointed as as the new Prime Minister of the central African country.
- He will be responsible for forming a government in consultation with the president in accordance with the 25 October 2015 constitution.
- Earlier,Sassou Nguesso had led Congo between 1979 and 1992 and again had returned to power after a civil war in 1997.
Centre modifies SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act
The Union Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry has notified new rules on Babasaheb Ambedkar’s birth anniversary to give effect amended Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 to ensure speedy justice to members of the SC/ST community.
- The new rule includes the provision of completing an investigation and filing a charge sheet in the court within 60 days of the filing of complaint by a member of SC/ST community.
- There is also provision of relief for offences of rape and gang rape, introduced for the first time.
India to host 2018 Commonwealth Judo Championships
India will host the 2018 Commonwealth Judo Championships in Jaipur.
- The Commonwealth Judo Championships had allotted to India, by the Commonwealth Judo Congress held at Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- This will be the first time that Commonwealth Judo Championships will be held in India.
BCCI to host first Day-Night test against New Zealand this year
The BCCI is all set to host its first-ever day and night cricket Test with the pink ball when New Zealand tour India.
- Before that, Duleep Trophy will act as a dress rehearsal for the day-night Test match.
- The main objective of the Duleep Trophy will be to check how the pink kookaburra behaves under the light in sub-continental conditions.
Mairaj wins India’s first skeet medal at a shooting WC
Indian shooter Mairaj Ahmed Khan (40-years) has won the silver medal in the Men’s Skeet event of the ISSF Shooting World Cup in Rio De Janerio.
- Mairaj’s feat, gave India its first skeet medal at a World Cup.
- Earlier,he became India’s first ever skeet shooter to win an Olympic quota place after finishing at sixth place in last year’s ISSF Shotgun World Cup in Italy.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here