Rakesh Kumar Chaturvedi new CBSE chairman
- The government has appointed IAS officer Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi (1987-batch) Chairman of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for 5 year term.
- His appointment was made by the Prime Minister-headed Appointment Committee of the Cabinet.
- The post was lying vacant since December 2014.
Download exclusive notes on your phoneInstall GK Digest Android App here
15 July: World Youth Skills Day
- The World Youth Skills Day has been observed globally with the theme Skills Development to Improve Youth Employment.
- On the occasion, United Nations organised the event facilitated by the UN Envoy on Youth Ahmad Alhendawi.
SIT on black money recommends ban on cash transactions above 3 lakhs
- The Special Investigation Team (SIT) on black money headed by retired Justice M B Shah has recommended the ban on cash transactions of above 3 lakh rupees in a day and a separate law to declare such transactions as illegal and punishable.
- It has also suggested upper ceiling of cash holding at 15 lakh rupees to curb illegal wealth in the economy.
- The SIT felt that the cash transaction limit can only succeed if there is a limitation on cash holding.
- If any person or industry required holding more cash, it may obtain necessary permission from the Commissioner of Income Tax of the area.
RBI asks banks to exchange upto 20 soiled notes free of charge
- In an effort to improve customer service, the RBI has asked banks to exchange up to 20 pieces of soiled currency notes with a maximum value of Rs 5,000 over the counter, free of charge.
- If the number of notes to be exchanged is more than 20, banks can levy service charge.
Emirates named world’s best airline in 2016 Skytrax awards
- The international airline Emirates based in Dubai has won the top honors at Skytrax World Airline Awards ceremony at the Farnborough International Airshow in England.
- According to a survey conducted by Skytrax, Emirates is the world’s best airline for the year 2016.
Hockey Olympian Joe Antic passes away
- Hockey Olympian Joe Antic (90-year) has passed away in Mumbai.
- He represented the country in the Rome Games where Pakistan won the final.
- He was one of the coaches in the Indian team’s World Cup camp in 1973.
India first country to become YAWS-free
- India has been acknowledged as the first country in the world to become YAWS-free.
- Union Health Minister JP Nadda received an official citation from the World Health Organisation and the UNICEF for Elimination of Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus and for being YAWS-free.
Kerala launches online incubator for student start-ups
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has launched SV.CO, purportedly world’s first digital student incubator, as a digital makeover of the Startup Village in Kochi.
- SV.CO will constitute the second phase of development of Startup Village and is designed to help thousands of college-goers make an early start in entrepreneurship.
GM Harika Dronavalli wins Fide Women’s Grand Prix trophy in China
- India’s Grand Master Harika Dronavalli has won the Fide women’s Grand Prix trophy in Chedu in China.
- She finished on 7 points in the round robin tournament featuring the world’s top 12 players to be crowned the champion.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here