NASA ends year-long Mars simulation on Hawaii
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has ended its year-long Mars simulation on Hawaii.
- Since 29th August 2015, Six people team lived in close quarters in a dome, without fresh air, fresh food or privacy.
- The team consisted of a French astrobiologist, a German physicist and four Americans – a pilot, an architect, a journalist and a soil scientist.
- The researchers are looking forward to getting in the ocean and eating fresh produce and other foods that were not available in the dome.
Download mobile firendly notesInstall GK Digest Android app here
West Bengal passes a resolution to rename the state
- The West Bengal Assembly has passed a resolution for renaming the state as ‘Bangla’ (Bengali) and ‘Bengal‘ (English).
- Earlier, in 2011 the state government had sent a proposal to the Centre for renaming West Bengal as “Paschim Bango“, but that never got the green signal.
India’s first textile university to come up at Surat
- Gujarat government is planning to set up India’s first textile university on over 250-acre land at Surat (Gujarat).
- The state government will fund about Rs 800-900 crore for the university,.
- It is expected to get operational in the next one and a half years.
Mehbooba Mufti launches Ujala Scheme in Jammu and Kashmir
- Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir Mehbooba Mufti has launched the central government’s Ujala Scheme in the state with the distribution of LED bulbs among people in Jammu.
- According to CM Mufti, it is an essential commodity and everyone has the equal right to energy.
- The scheme will be implemented in the state by Jammu and Kashmir Power Development Department (JKPDD) in collaboration with Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
Union Government inaugurates IIT in Dharwad
- The Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javdekar has launched Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Dharwad in Karnataka.
- The institute has already started functioning from this academic year from a temporary structure.
- Two thousand students with Science and Maths background have been invited to the inaugural function.
- Earlier, both the houses (in 3rd August report) had passed the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill which states that Jammu, Tirupati, Palakkad, Goa, Dharward and Bhilai are set to get IITs.
Eminent Odisha painter, writer Dinanath Pathy passes away
- Eminent painter, writer and art historian Dinanath Pathy (74-year) passed away due to cardiac arrest in Bhubaneswar.
- Pathy was former secretary of Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi and Bhubaneswarm and regarded as the pioneer of the art movement in Odisha.
- He was also the founder principal of the BK College of Art and Crafts in Bhubaneswar.
- He published over 60 books on classical, traditional, tribal, folk, rural and contemporary art of Odisha in Odia, English and German languages.
Western Railway wins all India railway athletic championship
- Western Railway has won the overall team championship, in the 82nd All India Railway athletic Championship (AIRAC) at Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu.
- Central railway stood second and Southern Railway third in the overall team category.
- In men’s category best athlete award has been given to Jasdeep Singh (Northern Railway) and best women athlete award to Dutee Chand (Northern Railway).
Nico Rosberg wins 2016 Belgian Grand Prix
- German Formula One driver for Mercedes Nico Rosberg has won the Belgian Grand Prix 2016 of Formula One.
- It was his overall 10th championship title of F1 in his career and the sixth win in the 2016 season.
- Belgian Grand Prix was the thirteenth race of the 2016 season of Formula One in which total 11 teams had participated.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here