Vijay Rupani to be new Chief Minister of Gujarat
- BJP state President Vijay Rupani (60-year) has been named the new Chief Minister of Gujarat after a meeting of the BJP legislators at State Party headquarter “Shree Kamalam” Gandhinagar.
- Nitin Patel will be the deputy chief minister.
Download Mobile Friendly NotesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Nita Ambani elected as the first Indian woman member of IOC
- Chairperson and founder of Reliance Foundation, Nita Ambani (52-year) has been elected as an individual member of International Olympic Committee(IOC).
- She became the first Indian woman to join the prestigious body which governs Olympic sports in the world.
Corporation Bank launches group insurance scheme for borrowers
- Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Corporation Bank Jai Kumar Garg has launched “group credit life insurance scheme” of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) in Mangaluru.
- The scheme has been made available initially at all the branches of Mangaluru Zone which would later be extended to all branches.
- The Scheme is available to bank’s customers in the age group of 18 to 60 year who have taken term loans.
IBJA announces awards for Indian medal winners at Rio 2016 Olympics
- India Bullion and Jewellers Association (IBJA) has announced Sovereign Gold Bonds and silver to the Indian medal winners at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
- According to IBJA, Sovereign Gold Bonds of 500 gms will be awarded to the Gold Medal winners and 1 kg silver will be awarded to Silver Medal winners.
Assamese Litterateur Mahim Bora passes away
- Assamese litterateur Padma Shri Mahim Bora (92-year) has passed away due to old age problems.
- He had received the Sahitya Akademi award for his most popular work ‘Edhani Mahir Hanhi’ in 2001 and the Assam Valley Literary award in 1998.
IOC approves five new sports for Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has agreed to add Baseball-Softball, Karate, Skateboard, Climbing Sports and surfing in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- This decision was taken by the 129th IOC session at Rio de Janeiro.
- The new sports will add 18 events and 474 athletes to the program.
IOC approves 271 Russian athletes to compete in Rio Games
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has approved 271 Russian athletes to compete in the Rio Games.
- 118 Russians are still barred from competition, thus the Russians will field their smallest Olympic team since 1912.
Rangana Herath takes maiden Test hat-trick against Australia
- Rangana Herath claimed his maiden test hat-trick to consign Australia to their lowest total against Sri Lanka on the second test.
- Herath becomes only the second Sri Lankan cricketer to claim a test hat-trick after seamer Nuwan Zoysa.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here