Gujarat becomes first state to distribute 2 Cr. LED bulbs
- Gujarat has become the first Indian state to distribute two crore LED bulbs under the Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for all (UJALA) scheme.
- Gujarat has reached this milestone in just 96 days and over 42 lakh households have already benefitted from the scheme.
- Under the administration of the Power Ministry, Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is distributing about 2 lakh bulbs daily in Gujarat.
Download mobile friendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Govt. approves 16 highway projects in 11 states
- The Union Government has approved 16 highway projects in 11 states to be executed at a cost of 7,457 crore rupees.
- According to Road Transport and Highways Secretary Sanjay Mitra,the standing Finance Committee has cleared these projects for 622 kilometre.
- Two of the projects pertain to Char Dham yatra connectivity in Uttarakhand.
- The projects are in Maharashtra, Odisha, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and Sikkim.
Majuli in Assam to become India’s first island district
- Majuli in Assam is all set to become the first island district of the country .
- It will be upgraded to a district from sub-division on 8th September.
- Majuli covers an area of around 340 miles and is one of the prime tourist destinations of North East.
- Nearly 1 lakh 60 thousand people reside in the island.
State Bank of Travancore appoints new Chief GM Ashok Kumar Pradhan
- Ashok Kumar Pradhan has taken over as its Chief General Manager of State Bank Of Travancore.
- He succeeds S Adikesavan.
- Pradhan has started his banking career in 1985 as a Probationary Officer in State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur.
IBJA appoints Mukesh Mehta as president
- India Bullion and Jewellers Association (IBJA) has appointed Mukesh Mehta as the new President of IBJA.
- He will replace Mohit Kamboj, who resigned in the last week Annual General Meeting of IBJA.
- IBJA was established in 1919 for bullion dealers and jewellers.
Sudarsan Pattnaik’s sand art ‘world peace’ wins award in Russia
- Noted artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has won people’s choice award for his sand sculpture ‘Mahatma Gandhi sculpture for non-violence and peace‘ made during an international championship in Russia.
- Pattnaik’s art has got 60 thousand votes out of the total 80 thousand votes from the visitors to the exhibition.
- Pattnaik was honoured with the country’s fourth highest civilian award Padma Shri in 2014.
Vice President to launch Vidyadhanam educational scholarship
- Vice President Md. Hamid Ansari will launch the Vidyadhanam educational scholarship at St.Teresa’s College in Kochi.
- The scholarship instituted with the support of the State Bank of India and is implemented by the K.V. Thomas Vidyadhanam Trust.
- The scheme will benefit students ( 948 – this year) of government and aided schools in Ernakulam Lok Sabha constituency.
Bhutan set to host Asian Tennis Tour event next month
- Bhutan is all set to become the fourth Asian country (after India, Thailand and Iran) to host a tournament on the Asian Tennis Tour (ATT) scheduled from 16th to 18th September.
- It will be country’s first ever international tennis tournament.
- More than 30 ATT tournaments set to be held at various cities in Asia this year between September and December.
England beat Pakistan in 3rd one-day after scoring record 444 in ODI
- England struck a world record one-day international (ODI) total of 444 for three as they crushed Pakistan by 169 runs at Trent Bridge.
- Chasing the mammoth target of 445 runs to win the match, Pakistan were all out for 275 in 42.4 overs.
- England’s total surpassed the previous record of 443 for nine by Sri Lanka against the Netherlands at Amstelveen in 2006.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here