BRICS Convention on Tourism begins in Madhya Pradesh
- Two-day long 2016 BRICS Convention on Tourism has begun at world heritage site Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh.
- State’s Tourism Minister Shri Surendra Patwa and Union Tourism Secretary Vinod Zutshi inaugurated the convention.
- Delegations from the BRICS countries India, Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa are participating in the event.
- The convention has been organized as a precursor to the BRICS Summit to be held in Goa in October 2016.
Download mobile friendly notesInstall GK Digest Android App here
Railway launches insurance scheme for passengers traveling on e- ticket
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has launched an insurance scheme for passengers traveling on e- ticket.
- To avail the facility, train passengers have to pay 92 paisa premium.
- A person booking a train ticket through the IRCTC website will be eligible for the travel insurance and it is optional.
- The facility will be available only for confirmed and RAC ticket passengers.
ISRO to launch Insat 3 D R satellite
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch Insat 3 D R satellite on 8th of September.
- According to ISRO chairman Dr A S Kiran Kumar, on 26th September SCAN SAT satellite will also be launched.
- He said the SCAN SAT will be launched along with one Algerian satellite, two university satellite.
Anant Kumar inaugurates INDIA-CHEM 2016 International Conference in Mumbai
- Union Ministers for Chemicals & Petrochemicals Anant Kumar has inaugurated 3 day INDIA-CHEM 2016 International Conference in Mumbai.
- It includes 23 countries, 282 exhibitors along with partner states like Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Orissa.
- Anant Kumar has announced that Chemical Institute of technology will be launched soon in Mumbai.
India’s economic growth for first quarter slows to 7.1 percent
- India’s gross domestic product (GDP) slowed to 7.1 % in the April to June quarter of the current fiscal.
- This is the slowest growth in the last six quarters due to the subdued performance of the mining, construction and farm sectors.
- GDP had expanded 7.5 % growth in the year-ago quarter and 7.9% in the January to March 2016 quarter.
- Growth in the farm sector 1.8 % and in construction it was 1.5 % during the quarter under review and manufacturing sector growth accelerated to 9.1%.
Anuradha Rao appointed as MD, CEO of SBI Mutual Fund
- Anuradha Rao has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and chief executive of SBI Mutual Fund.
- She has worked as the Chief General Manager (GM) of personal Banking at the bank.
- SBI Mutual Fund is a bank-sponsored fund house with its corporate headquarters in Mumbai, India.
Michel Temer sworn in as new Brazil president
- Brazil’s former vice president Michel Temer (75-year) has been sworn in as the new president (37th) after the country’s Senate voted to remove Dilma Rousseff from office.
- Temer will serve as president until December 31, 2018.
Ashok Chawla appointed as Chancellor of TERI University
- Former Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla (IAS officer of 1973 batch) has been appointed as the new Chancellor of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) University.
- He is currently serving as the Chairman of TERI since February 2016.
- TERI has ended its last association with former Chancellor and Head R.K. Pachauri, who was accused of sexually harassing a female colleague in 2015.
Smart Prep Kit for Banking Exams by Ramandeep Singh - Download here